Dual rig first light

I think it was last Monday or Tuesday we had an unexpected clear spell. Took me a while to figure out the settings in APT for multi camera control and dithering, had to align both scopes as best I could, still not right but the target of M33 was in FOV of both cameras. First time using an OAG as well. Went surprisingly well. Was easy to focus with the non rotating helical focuser and my guiding improved actually! RMS back down to 0.6" for most of the session. I wasnt going to process this but I couldn't resist. New camera after all. I collected an hours worth of data on the Canon and 30 minutes worth of Lum on the ASI1600. Not enough Lum collected as truth be told, the OSC data is better. The mono data is noisier and the stars are a bit more bloated so I need to maybe look at shooting at 0 gain on the ASI and match the sub length to the Canon. I added it in anyway as it improved the background a little as I didn't take flats.

Canon 6D modded on Starwave 102EDR

20 x 180s ISO1600, bias removed, no flats

ASI1600MM on WO GT71

20 x 90s G59 OS60, dark calibrated, no flats

Both through IDAS D2 filters

M33 1 hour.jpg

Edited by david_taurus83
convert to jpeg
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I think it was last Monday or Tuesday we had an unexpected clear spell. Took me a while to figure out the settings in APT for multi camera control and dithering, had to align both scopes as best I could, still not right but the target of M33 was in FOV of both cameras. First time using an OAG as well. Went surprisingly well. Was easy to focus with the non rotating helical focuser and my guiding improved actually! RMS back down to 0.6" for most of the session. I wasnt going to process this but I couldn't resist. New camera after all. I collected an hours worth of data on the Canon and 30 minutes worth of Lum on the ASI1600. Not enough Lum collected as truth be told, the OSC data is better. The mono data is noisier and the stars are a bit more bloated so I need to maybe look at shooting at 0 gain on the ASI and match the sub length to the Canon. I added it in anyway as it improved the background a little as I didn't take flats.

Canon 6D modded on Starwave 102EDR

20 x 180s ISO1600, bias removed, no flats

ASI1600MM on WO GT71

20 x 90s G59 OS60, dark calibrated, no flats

Both through IDAS D2 filters

M33 1 hour.jpg

You’ve a great set up there, I really liked my dual rig.  It felt easy to get a completed image. Looking forward to more from you David. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

You’ve a great set up there, I really liked my dual rig.  It felt easy to get a completed image. Looking forward to more from you David. 

Thanks Adam. It was actually you that gave me the idea to combine a DSLR with a mono! Just hope I can tighten the stars on the ASI. The 6D has really impressed me though. It's a lot less noisier than the 600D I had. Bigger pixels as well so I suppose it's more sensitive.

• Like 1