Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A little Lynx.

cotterless45

Lovely placed , from here quite invisible to the eye , but some treasures. Early frosty evening , sno boots and down trousers on ( that sounds wrong !) 

NGC 2419 is a favourite and I never tire of getting folks to spot it and tell them how far it is away . That's the furthest target that we can see in our galaxy.Look for the fish hook with the double star in the middle , continue the shank and that slight sparkle is there.

Tried for the "UFO" galaxy , a bright edge on (+9.7) NGC 2683, but hardly a smudge with the moon in the south. Very high up on the ecliptic sat the lovely disc of Uranus , so non stellar.

Vesta was a bright target in Taurus. 

Kicked off with the best of Lynx binaries. 5 Lyncis giving an orange giant with an unrelated companion. 19 Lyncis is an attractive triple, but I was after that wonderful 12 Lyncis, quite stunning.

Beautifully calm sky , seeing and transparency was terrific , a high cold mist drew in. Had to towel down the ota and mount , dew attack.

Hoping for some less Soggy , clear skies ! Nick.IMG_7281.thumb.JPG.075aa24f151ecc906b97f9632d8419ba.JPGIMG_7282.thumb.JPG.2292eb7e27ae3e063a8679f217788e23.JPGIMG_7279.thumb.JPG.3efd891e57fd7d244d80cd0bb120151c.JPGIMG_7280.thumb.JPG.9af81c12768f3c8217d38c19455458dc.JPG

• Like 15

BBC forecast clear skies last night all my apps said cloud BBC app on wife's phone said cloud as it turned out it was cloudy all night I was up 3 times going the loo still cloudy.

Tonight I have freezing by way of a change in the weather..

Glad you got out Nick I had the "Galactic Wanderer" in my list. Some targets there I will check out myself if I ever get clear skies again great sketches as usual.

Nice report, as always. I'll have a look for NGC 2419 some night (or morning!) soon. I'm sure I've heard of it and equally sure I've never looked for it! North through east is a bad quadrant from home so it will have to wait until I'm back in Cumbria later in the month.

• Like 1

I remember my first time seeing the wanderer, no doubt inspired by another of old Nick’s great reports. It was at a dark site with my trusty 130mm reflector at my side. It must have taken an hour of hunting. I even stopped for a cuppa to warm up half way through. It was fainter than I expected which explained why I kept missing it. I let out a triumphant “Yes!” on finding it and punched the air. No one was there to share the joy but that’s ok, that’s what observing reports and friends on SGL are for. 

Thanks for another great report, Nick. I’ll be sure to revisit the wanderer again soon :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I let out a triumphant “Yes!” on finding it and punched the air. No one was there to share the joy but that’s ok, that’s what observing reports and friends on SGL are for. 

Brilliant Neil - echoes my feelings/reactions exactly!

Doug.

• Thanks 1