SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Propeller Nebula DWB 111 / Simeis 57 in Ha

x6gas

Latest image using my new mount - posting the Ha as who knows when or if the weather will clear long enough for me to capture more data.  I hope to do a wider field of this region in the future but for now here's a close up of the Propeller Nebula in Cygnus.  I can see a running man in here...

Took a bit of very careful stretching to get any kind of definition in the actual propeller and I am still not 100% happy.  Still a bit noisy so could do with another couple of hours of data.

Mount: CEM40; Guiding: Atik OAG, QHY 5L II, PHD2; Filter: Atik EFW2, Astrodon 5nm Ha; Camera: Atik 460ex

Data: 20 x 600s, preprocessing in AstroArt. bit of NR in PI, stretched and sharpened in PS.

1582531796_DWB111600x20Ha.thumb.png.ad1f8b6af9f0cee35f1893e44e85bd41.png

Thanks for looking, Ian

Edited by x6gas
  • Like 15

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 16:59, Allinthehead said:

Nice. Good luck with the new mount.

Thanks Richard.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:48, ollypenrice said:

That was a good stretch, really emphasizing the propeller feature.

Olly

Many thanks Olly.  The initial stretch I generally use (and used here) is one based on a hugely helpful example you shared on here many moons ago which controls the stars well.  After that I was sampling the propeller and trying to bring out some contrast in the nebula with a few iterations of gentle selective stretching.  I don't recall ever really having to do this before - at least not to this extent - but the nebula appeared very 'flat' in my data otherwise. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:08, gorann said:

Very nice start with a clear propellar in there. What scope did you use? I see that you have a few good ones to choose from.

Many thanks Goran.  I'm sorry I seem to have missed the scope off of my kit list!  It was the TS130 Super Apo (f/6.6; f/l 860mm).

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 17:31, MartinB said:

looking great.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the project.

Thank you Martin.  The forecast here is awful for the next couple of weeks so not sure when or if I'll be able to get more data on this target but I live in hope!