SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

No Mercury transit for me

jadcx

Mild apologies in advance, but I'm a little annoyed, mostly with myself.

Having decided that I'd like to try and see the transit, and being new to solar observing, the inevitable FLO order was necessary.  I though that I'd try and use the little FS-60CB, so after a few emails about the options, I opted for the Baader ASBF filter.  Unfortunately, I ordered the 80mm filter t match the 80mm tube of the scope, and of course, this isn't how those measurements work :)  So now I have a solar filter that either too big or too small for my scopes, and not enough time to replace it.

I know it's probably going to be cloudy anyway, but I'm still frustrated.

1 hour ago, jadcx said:

Mild apologies in advance, but I'm a little annoyed, mostly with myself.

Having decided that I'd like to try and see the transit, and being new to solar observing, the inevitable FLO order was necessary.  I though that I'd try and use the little FS-60CB, so after a few emails about the options, I opted for the Baader ASBF filter.  Unfortunately, I ordered the 80mm filter t match the 80mm tube of the scope, and of course, this isn't how those measurements work :)  So now I have a solar filter that either too big or too small for my scopes, and not enough time to replace it.

I know it's probably going to be cloudy anyway, but I'm still frustrated.

Couldn't you fix up a projection screen?

Olly

• Like 1

Sadly, I’ll be away for work down in the SE from Monday for half of the week, so no chance to observe it through a scope, although I do have an astromedia solar projector that I could take with me as it doesn’t take up much room and have a look around lunchtime if I can see it through that. If the clouds allow that’ll be the best chance I get to see it. The solar projector works pretty well when sun spots are on show, so hopefully Mercury will be visible with it. 

3 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

+1 for it being cloudy, I've booked the day off work!

Could you not put the filter you have got into a larger frame and fit that to your scope? Making certain that it is properly secure.

I thought about ‘constructing’ something but despite the implication of missing Monday, I’d prefer to exchange it for the right product.