Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Astro-Geek

COMPLETED - COMPLETED - Skyshed Pod storage bays SWAPS

I'm on the verge of buying a secondhand Skyshed Pod, but they usually come up with several wall storage pods, and I have limited ground space, so I would need plain wall sections instead.

Are there many Pod owners on here, that might be interested in a straight swap of a storage pod wall section for a plain wall section ?

(My Avatar may be realised at last !)

Edited by Astro-Geek

I would  not advise getting rid of all of them, it is very useful to have at least one for storing kit, or for use as a seating area, (somewhere to put your laptop and a knee hole).  

Carole 

Yes I can appreciate the advice, I've painted myself into a corner many times over the years !

It's a shame that the cost of the blank wall panels is inflated so much by the shipping from the US and the VAT and Customs et al.....

Hence looking for straight swaps.

My latest foray with Sketchup shows that I could just about get three pods up on my deck, but two would have been easier.

pod bays.jpg

I might be interested. I have a white skyshed with no storage pods. I need to balance the additional functionality vs the moans and groans of making my obsy even bigger than it already is.

It would need to be white storage pod, if I got a green one my wife would certainly notice.

Have anyone found the pods to be invaluable, is there an increase in damp or drips?

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Sorry IMD, I thought the chances of swapping my pods for plain panels was pretty slim after no takers on here, so I persevered and modified my decking slightly to accommodate all three of the side pods,  (and they were green anyway, not white I'm afraid.)

I'm glad I did, because Carole was quite right, the storage space they give is almost essential.

Although I've only just set mine up, I'd say they're definitely more prone to condensation, if they're the basic unlined ones, like mine.  The single HDPE skin, though very tough and fairly thick (about 8mm), dripped with condensation from the inside of the top sloping section.  I understand that they also allow a lot of UV light through on sunny days too.

However, that's very easy and cheap to cure, simply by lining them with ally skinned bubblewrap insulation.  I used a 10 metre by 1.2 metre roll of triple wall bought from Amazon for £39, and stapled it on with stainless steel staples, (short 1/4 inch ones, to avoid creating holes on the outside).  The whole idea came from the Skyshed Forum, which is full of tips and photos on them.

It's completely stopped the condensation and I'm quite sure it will also block any UV light penetrating in the Summer.

I haven't taken a photo of my lined pods yet, but I'll post it on this thread asap.

It'll also show how I've filled the three PODs, one with my sliding PC workstation, one with a pedestal filing cabinet for my small accessories, and shelves in the third, for my flight cases with the OTAs in them.

ps...... It's just occurred to me that I'll have to change my Avatar from the POD image a grabbed from Google, when it was just a pipe dream, to a picture of my own one... 😀

pod deck.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek

Nice conclusion to this thread, so is it now closed?

33 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Nice conclusion to this thread, so is it now closed?

A good point Alan, now that it has become more of a DIY thread...  😀

I've added the appropriate prefix to the title.......

• Like 1