Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew problem

edarter

Hi, 

In the UK we are well in to autumn now and on the last couple of occasions the skies have been clear (which is rare!) my 130pds has developed dew on the secondary mirror well before the primary. I've read that dew shields are not needed for newtonians but would fitting one help reduce this problem? Also, do people fit dew heaters near the top of the OTA to help prevent this? 

A dew hood will hold the dew at bay and give you a little longer time then not having one. Eventually you will succumb to dew unless you have dew heaters. I have a SCT and use a 8” dew band at the top just below the glass and a 2” band, either around my focal reducer or my eyepiece. Haven’t had a dew problem since, a worth while investment. 

7E03DE7A-1825-4731-AA5F-706BAF9D19A0.thumb.jpeg.561530caf9cf3a128c1431055ca8304e.jpeg

Hi, 

When I was using a newton for imaging (SW 200mm f/5) I had a long dew shield which did a good job at keeping dew and stray light at bay.

In general a dew heater is not necessary for the primary mirror and I have seen people mounting a very thin heater directly around the secondary mirror cell taking care to route the cable along the mirror mount to minimise obstruction. For observations another heater around thr eyepiece can save a lot of frustration and it is almost necessary if using a coma reducer for imaging.