SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Large format sensor

Ken82

So onto part two of my planned dual imaging setup. First part was an fsq 85 with asi 071 for colour images. Second part  is for narrowband and I’m looking to pair my fsq 106 with a large format camera so looking for some guidance. 

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the atik 16200, starlight sx-46 or yet to be release zwo 6200. 

I own a couple of zwo cameras so I’m familiar using them and also the customer service is very good which is why I’m currently siding with the 6200. 

I would think the zwo would be higher QE , Lower noise than the 16200 type sensors ? 

what do others think ? 

thanks ken 

The only one on your list that I have any experience of is the Atik 16200 and it is paired to the same scope you will be using (Tak 106).

I changed from an Atik 460 to the 16200 and its a  very different camera - the biggest difference is the mechanical shutter - for me it made taking flats a different experience!

I have only had about 4 clearish nights since I got it but one thing that rapidly became apparent is that despite the noisy chip, if you run it cold ~ -30 degrees the noise is much reduced. Despite the horrible looking performance graphs the data is a joy to process and needs a very light touch.

If you would like to see subs etc to have a play with just let me know and I can pop some in a DropBox or Google folder.

• Like 3

Thanks for the images skipper billy and the feedback. Lots to think about. Not sure if I can stretch that far Jkulin but nice camera 👍

one thing I need to look into further is the binning. Normally using 2x2 binning on a cmos the noise doubles ? But some have mentioned these new sensors are slightly different -

quote from cloudy nights 

1. The read noise when you bin 2x2 will actually be sqrt(4x1.6e) = 2.6e. This is because the newer CMOS sensors extensively use CDS which eliminates the correlated component of the electronic noise leaving only the random noise.”

Maybe one for Vlaiv 😀

thanks ken 

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, BarryinBondi said:

@Ken82

I'm going through the exact same process today.  Which did you decide on?

I went with the asi 6200 👍

A few teething issues but I hope to write a comprehensive review shortly to help others out. 

great camera 👍