SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Low power eyepiece - Fast 10” dob

davhei

On 12/11/2019 at 08:18, davhei said:

Thanks! Do you know the differences between the Vixen and the 22 mm T4 Nagler? I would assume there would be similarities and the Naglers are always held in high regard. Do the Nagler need coma corrector to get sharpness across the full field while the Vixen albeit with a smaller tfov has sharp stars almost to the edge?

The 22mm Nagler will need a coma corrector, (expensive), but the 22mm Vixen LVW can be used without one. 

The 22mm LVW will be pretty much sharp to the edge by itself, while the 22mm Nagler will not.

• Like 1

I used a T4 22mm with a 250mm f4.7 Newt. I bought a coma corrector for it because without one... eek! Outstanding eyepiece though.

I moved to a C9.25 before changing to an LVW 22mm so don't know how it goes in a Newt. I have an 80ED in which it is simply the best. I can't imagine stars looking any sharper.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I didn’t follow up on this but in the end I kept the 27 Pan and am quite pleased.

It is light, has good contrast, good eye relief, acceptable coma, even without paracorr, and complements my delos ep’s well with a similar afov. The step in magnification between it and my longest focal length delos, the 14 mm, suits me well. The exit pupil is 5,8 mm in my 10” dob.

Also works very well in my f6 80mm refractor and the field stop fits the smaller Baader BBHS T2 mirror diagonal that I like a lot.

Has been a workhorse EP for star hopping and variable star observing for two years now and has certainly found its spot in my eyepiece case. Didn’t have to trim my eyelashes either!

Thanks everyone for your input.

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I notice StellaLyra Dobs come with a 30mm StellaLyra (GSO) Superview. I wonder how these perform?

Great at F/10.

Astigmatic stars in the outer 30% of the field of view in an F/5. Quite "seagully" out towards the field stop.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

Great at F/10.

Astigmatic stars in the outer 30% of the field of view in an F/5. Quite "seagully" out towards the field stop.

Much as I imagined. It's always better to pay a premium for wide field eyepieces.

• Like 1

As long as you don't need to wear eyeglasses at the eyepiece, the TV Pan 27mm is a fine eyepieces.  When I used my 15" f/5 Dob regularly in the past, it was my main observing eyepiece providing 71x which was just about perfect for most OCs and nebula.  However, I did scratch up an eyeglass lens on the eye lens's retaining ring trying to push in to see the entire FOV once.  I never did that again. 🙄

I've since replaced it in my A-team eyepiece case with the APM UFF 30mm.  It now resides in the B-team case with the 12mm and 17mm NT4s that were replaced with the 12mm and 17mm ES-92s.  I'll probably pass the B-team along to my grown daughter as "starter" eyepieces for her newfound interest in astronomy. 😄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Louis D said:

As long as you don't need to wear eyeglasses at the eyepiece, the TV Pan 27mm is a fine eyepieces.  When I used my 15" f/5 Dob regularly in the past, it was my main observing eyepiece providing 71x which was just about perfect for most OCs and nebula.  However, I did scratch up an eyeglass lens on the eye lens's retaining ring trying to push in to see the entire FOV once.  I never did that again. 🙄

I've since replaced it in my A-team eyepiece case with the APM UFF 30mm.  It now resides in the B-team case with the 12mm and 17mm NT4s that were replaced with the 12mm and 17mm ES-92s.  I'll probably pass the B-team along to my grown daughter as "starter" eyepieces for her newfound interest in astronomy. 😄

Panoptics and Naglers are pretty good "starter" eyepieces :smiley:

For many, they would be great "finisher" ones as well !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1