Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Has anyone managed to spot this comet visually from the UK ?    

Last night I had a second try using my 10” Dob. I swept the whole area N of M38 at 44x 1.5 degree field.   Tried at 86x 0.7 degree field because reports from observers under good skies suggest a very small apparent size.   Spent about 20 minutes but no luck, this was midnight to 00.20 when Auriga was at high elevation.  Obviously the bright moon didn’t help.

Not giving up of course, this comet is supposed to be brightening and perhaps a moonless night at my club’s dark site will bring success.

Thanks in advance for any reports, Ed.

• Like 1

I saw it 2 weeks ago at New Moon, but from a dark location in France. 12" dob, quite surprisingly pretty brightish and galaxy-like, so definately no doubt there was something there. 

• Like 1

yes on Monday-Tuesday night after the moon had set. North of M38 and very very faint, just discernable with averted position using a 12" dob when it was nearly overhead. I double checked the location using Kstars and Stellarium and moved the scope around a bit to check it wasn't my mind playing tricks or a speck of dust somewhere. It was right where it was supposed to be.

• Like 1