Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Cosmic Geoff

EEVA of 3 comets etc

Finally some clear skies on the 7th and I did not have to be anywhere else, so set up my EEVA rig to have a go at three comets, + M33 and M1.

Rig = 102mm Startravel achro, SLT mount, permanent wooden tripod and ASI224MC camera.  This is not a 'designed' setup, just gear I owned already.

With the aid of Precise GoTo, Platesolver2 and some live stacking in Sharpcap, I obtained images containing faint fuzzy blobs for the comets C/2017 T2 (PANSTARRS), C/2018 N2 (ASASSN) and C/260P McNaugt.

Turning to M33 (which I have never seen before despite trying on a number of occasions including in rural Scotland), I got a stacked image of some faint nebulosity. Definitely something there but not spectacular.

I had likewise never seen M1, but using the gear showed an unmistakable grey oval blob which became clearer with some stacking.

Altogether a satisfactory night's work. Typical stacks were 5 x 6sec exposure.  Moon - gibbous. Semi-urban sky.

Platesolver2 solves in about 1 second on a Dell Vostro laptop.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 2

Here are the images related to the post above. The images of M1 and M33 may not be the greatest, but I have never been able to see these objects visually even with an 8" telescope.  Likewise, the comets are reported to be around mag 11 or 12. 

ASASSN_7Nov_16bits_6frames_.jpg

M1_Neb_16bits_14frames_115s.jpg

M33_Gal_16bits_14frames_115.jpg

McNaught_7Nov_16bits_6frame.jpg

PanSTARRS_7Nov_16bits_6fram.jpg

• Like 7

Nice report. You've spotted exactly 3x more comets than I have this year. Possibly last year too!

I must try harder.

Comets - not the easiest of objects to capture. I must take a look at these with the Dob but I doubt I will see anymore than you did. 

Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      On 22 Oct I had a go at EEVA with the moons of Uranus, using my CPC800 and the ASI224MC (and flip mirror)
      The image with about 5 sec exposure looked exciting, with several little dots in a line around Uranus's overexposed blob.  But when I analysed it later I found that I had imaged several 13th mag. background stars, and noted Oberon as a definite ID and Ariel as possible.  The seeing was bad.
      The moons are clearly within the range of this setup, so I will try again sometime and see if I can secure a set of stackable images.  The Sharpcap live stacking wouldn't work on this occasion.
      I needed Calsky to identify and eliminate the background stars, but it unhelpfully notes the moons as 'beyond the range of amateur telescopes.'  The Sky & Telescope tool identified the moons.
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      Africano captured EVA style with 102mm f5 Startravel achromat, ASI224MC on SLT mount.   Field is angled around 45 deg to lat/long. Comet near bottom of frame next to TYC2285-216-1
      19 Sept around 22.30 BST

• By Cosmic Geoff
      On 31 Aug I took some images of the Pluto region with 102mm achro f5 refractor, ASI224MC.  With the SLT mount synced to Saturn, the mount placed Jupiter and several Messier objects well in the camera field of view, so I was confident it should be capturing the region of Pluto.
      Next day I plate-solved one of the Pluto images successfully and identified the brightest star near the position. Pluto does not show up though - too faint. The 15 sec exposure shows the sky background.
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      Here are some EEVA-style images made with a 102mm f5 Startravel, SLT mount and ASI224MC planetary camera. I don't claim that they are very good, but would point to the modest equipment used (the camera cost more than the OTA did) and the fact that these are single exposures of about 5 seconds.
      I have previously tried imaging globular clusters with a C8 but the results were dire.
      One should also compare them with the eyeball view through a telescope of twice the size.
      I also tried imaging the region of Pluto, but on interpreting the result it appears that I missed the planet's position and also was not giving enough exposure to pick out objects that faint.

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Here is a EEVA-style image of Neptune and apparently its largest moon, Triton. I had been trying to image planetary nebulae before aiming the gear at Neptune, and noticed a faint smudge below the severely over-exposed planet. It was possibly easier to see at the time than on the processed image attached (between planet and arrow).  It seems to match the position given by Sky & telescope's Triton Tracker.
      At around mag 13.5, Triton would normally be beyond the reach of a C8 used visually even in ideal conditions.
      Image is inverted, taken 12Aug at 22.40 UT.  CPC800,ASI224MC, flip mirror. Gibbous moon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.