SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 150P on SW Star Discovery mount ?

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Skywatcher 150P on SW Star Discovery mount ?

I'm kinda changing my mind now the scope is gonna over tax that mount since it about 18 inches longer, which is alot.

Since it's also goto u are gonna stress the gears and motors and maybe kill them prematurely.

If u go the eq way and balance it on both axis then that's much less stress on axis.

A eq4 should be min eq5 will be better.

I would not like to see u burn the motors up and waste the mount. Remember the company makes that scope at f5 for a reason.

If we take celestron for an example 

They have gt mount for few scopes then the slt for others. Then the bit larger mounts for the 4se 5se mounts. Then the 6 and 8se have even bigger mounts then 4 and 5 se. Then the elvousion is still bigger then the cpcs.

That's like 6 different level mounts for different scope

Joejaguar 

1 hour ago, joe aguiar said:

Yes it sells on that mount but the eq version is f5 the dob version is f8 so u should put  it on a eq5 or gonna have lots vibrations.

Joejaguar 

I've assumed that Anthony1979 is talking about the F/5 150P optical tube. I agree that the F/8 tube as used in the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P dob would not be suitable on the mount.

humm ok maybe anthonoy can reply 

I thought he was getting the dob version and put it on that mount, but its if the f5 verson it already sell that way unless the SW160p version weights more?

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

The 150mm f/8 OTA is the 150PL, the "L" meaning "long", and out of the question of course.

However, the 150mm f/5 that was once bundled with the "Star Discovery" had a plastic primary-cell and focusser, so as not to strain and wear out the mount's gears and motors...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhs65AWdCk

Those aspects of a current 150P OTA, and that of the OP, are of metal; considerable extra weight.  A 130P, or even a 130P-DS, would mount on the "Star Discovery".  Otherwise, with a full-blown 150P, go with an EQ-5; nothing less if astrophotography of any type is to be pursued.

Edited by Alan64

Length has more impact than weight mostly but there are exceptions when the optical tube weight is close to the mount limit.

With the weight of your scope I don't think it's possible to say with any certainty whether or not the star discovery mount would be able to handle it :undecided:

For low to medium magnifications it might do OK but become less easy to use with higher powers. 

14 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

I think the scope weighs 4.9kg

That coincides with spec; 3.8 kg for the plastic version.  Your Nikon D3500 weighs about a third of a kilogram, if that's the camera you intend to use; not particularly heavy.

I've been wanting that same go-to mount, for visual-use; perhaps a web-cam, definitely afocal-shots through an eyepiece.  My Orion(Synta)150mm f/5 weighs 4.08 kg, but I would never place it on that type of mount.  It's not just the weight, it's the bulk, and perhaps the moment-arm effect.  That type of go-to mount contains plastic gears, with plastic teeth.  I'd be afraid of breaking or cracking them, and wearing out the motors prematurely.  The harder a motor has to work, the more strain it undergoes, thereby shortening its life.

Go-to is fine thing to have, mighty fine, therefore I understand how drawn you are thereto.  In the end, it's your decision.

If you get the manual EQ-5, you can upgrade it with a go-to add-on in future.  In the meantime, you can simply motorise the RA-axis to automatically track.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

Ive decide on the Eq-5 now... Its looks more sturdier pls i can and the motors at a later date thank you everyone 

A good decision I think. An undermounted scope is very frustrating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

Ive decide on the Eq-5 now... Its looks more sturdier pls i can and the motors at a later date thank you everyone 

That will be all the equatorial you'll probably ever need...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html

You can wait and save up for the go-to upgrade kit, or tide yourself over by motorising just the RA-axis...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/single-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq5.html

The extra part there to the left of the motor would allow you to disengage the tracking, and without having to disconnect the motor from the mount.  It also comes with a hand-set that's not shown.

The eye and brain can deal with shakes and wobbles, but a camera cannot.  A camera must be held rigidly, like a rock, during timed-exposures; else, the images will be blurred or soft.  That importance cannot be overestimated...

01Zugwv.jpg

You get the picture, pun intended.

• Like 3