Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Astrofriend

Tutorial: Setup of an off-axis adapter

Hi,
When you for the first time setup an off-axis adapter it can be confusing, at least it was for me. I have written down a tutorial that maybe can be of some help:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-setup-off-axis-adapter/01-tutorial-setup-off-axis-adapter.html

I will edit and do some complement in the text later.

A question to all you that already have an off-axis adapter, what make and model do you have ? Are you satisfaid with it ?

/Lars

• Like 1

Hi,

Sorry, I updated the tutorial today, but didn't add new pages, added it on the pages that was already there.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-setup-off-axis-adapter/01-tutorial-setup-off-axis-adapter.html

I don't use the off-axis adapter anymore that you see in the examples. I need a new bigger off-axis adapter.

Maybe I built that in the future, it could be built around this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6544_TS-Optics-Off-Axis-Guider-with-ZEISS-M68x1-connection---short-design.html

But all the adapters needed to it will cost some money, so I wait. Until then I have to going back to a separate guide telescope. You can see it on these pages:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-three-inch-flattener/project-three-inch-flattener.html

Do you have plans to implement an off-axis adapter ?

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend

11 hours ago, Astrofriend said:

Hi,

Sorry, I updated the tutorial today, but didn't add new pages, added it on the pages that was already there.

I don't use the off-axis adapter anymore that you see in the examples. I need a new bigger adapter.

Maybe I built that in the future, it could be built around this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6544_TS-Optics-Off-Axis-Guider-with-ZEISS-M68x1-connection---short-design.html

But all the adapters needed to it will cost some money, so I wait. Until then I have to going back to a separate guide telescope. You can see it on these pages:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-three-inch-flattener/project-three-inch-flattener.html

Do you have plans to implement an off-axis adapter ?

/Lars

Yes this is part of my plan for a futur setup :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Martin AB Cohen
      After trying and failing some time ago to find a video tutorial on how to strip-down my Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount, clean all the bearings and gears, re-grease them, and put it all back together again, I eventually learned how to do this from various other online resources and have now created my own video tutorial. For those of you with a Skywatcher HEQ5 or HEQ5 Pro mount, or indeed an Orion Sirius EQ-G mount (which is the same mechanically), this video can help you to keep you mount running smoothly through regular DIY servicing (~every 2 years).  I hope you find it useful.  Here is the link...

• By Mostafa
      I was wondering what images of dso I could get with this setup. How and how much would my images improve if I added in a decent file flattened and what would happen if I exceeded the maximum telescope magnification with Barlow lens.

• By Starboy6969
      Hey everyone, I just purchased my first refractor telescope but I have no idea where to get started, let’s get right into what my problem is. I purchased a Celestron C4-R; model number 21016; this came with a bunch of little pieces that I don’t know what they do, it’s a refractor telescope. I have the star diagonal but I don’t know where to attach it. I just want to know what I have to do to have it ready to be used thank you I would like help asap thank you👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• By westernwolf
      Hi
      I apologise in advance if this has been answered elsewhere previously.
      Monday night I was having horrendous issues with my first real attempt at using Sequence Generator Pro, most of this seems to be entered around the ASCOM driver of my Sesto Senso 2 focuser. In the end I gave up and did things manually using Cartes du Ciel to align the telescope to M31, however this is not where I found myself pointing. This was the first time I'd used the software to guide the mount, I used to use the mounts GOTO system. After carrying out a quick imaging run because I had lost the will to live, and by plate solving I found I was actually on *68 Cas (HD4142). I had polar aligned using QHY Polemaster, this must have been ok because guiding wasn't an issue 360s+ imaging.
      I'm not a fan of Cartes du Ciel at the moment because it seems to be clunky and very slow graphically, this may be because I communicate via wifi.
      I am curious what people that use SGP do with regards to getting going for a nightly run, would SGP be able to plate solve and realign the mount to a target when it is this far out, or have I made an error in how my park is setup on the mount, tube up-weights down not accurate enough?
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated because there seems to be a lot of cloud around at the moment  .
      Kind regards,
      Matt
      Skywatcher 120ED (Moonlite focuser) on HEQ5-Pro, Atik 314L+, EFW2, Eagle2 onboard computer. 

• By uhb1966
      Hello everybody!
      I measured my setup times when i did my last imaging run. Absolutely shocking 🤔 
      Step 1: unmount 8" quattro, disassemble EQ6 into 3 parts, move parts to terrace and reassemble EQ6, remount 8", without counterweights: 6 minutes 50 seconds (correct position marked on terrace, with right arm hurt, good time ) 
      Step 2: Mount counterweights and set scope to park position: 1 minute 55 secs
      Step 3: Connect power sources and connect all cabling: 20 minutes
      Step 4: get the computer and software running (on a very good night): 10 minutes
      Step 5: Let my old QHY8 cam and the scope cool down: 1 hour - otherwise i get strong gradients!
      Total prep time: 1 hour 39 minutes. Obviously, the cable time could be improved massively by training. But even if we could get the cabling time to zero, i'd get only down to 1h24', with the total time being dominated by the cooling of my rig.
      Open question: As i would not leave my cam outside, there seems no real possibly to cut down significantly on my prep time, even with a small obsy? Or am i doing something wrong?
      Best, U.
      P.S.: Getting an expensive cam is right now no good option  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.