SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full Moon dots and squiggles approach

Mike JW

Hi folks, For about two years I have pondered doing a full moon sketch using dots/squiggles. With this poor run of weather I have spent the time giving it a go using a photograph. It has been absorbing to try it. I cannot say that I am totally pleased with the result. I am in awe of the true artists who use this technique but fun to try it. It has made me really look hard at the moon and appreciate the subtle colour changes (greys) all over the surface. The well known craters are reasonably accurate. For the polar regions I have tried to give an impression of the complex pattern of craters and hills. The main Mares are about right. How to depict the mountain chains - I have no idea. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Three ink pens used - 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3.

Mike

929099943_FullMoondotsandsquiggleswithblack.thumb.jpg.3c07af1078bd893f39f9b50bdee89a3f.jpg

Edited by Mike JW
changed picture
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, MimasDeathStar said:

wow that's very impressive. Did you start with bigger areas and fill in the areas around them? Working in pen, that's so brave!

Thanks for the positive feedback. Compass to draw a faint circle. Then faint pencil marks to outline the seas. Then mark in the obvious craters in pencil. Once happy with the positions I did the seas first - S,T,N,F,C. After that I started at the top and worked my way down. 

Mike