Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So I bought a Star Analyser 100...

I've been tempted to have a go at this and welcome feedback if any of this sounds crazy. A local charity shop had a used Canon DSLR 100d which I've picked up and which has encouraged me to experiment. 

My plan is to order a star analyser diffraction filter, attach the filter and camera body to my Skywatcher 200P, witha  t ring take some images of contrasting stars like Vega and Arcturus, upload the images to a laptop, then apply some purchased software (RSpec, BASS?) in Windows. The camera has not been astro modified. 

It looks as if others have followed this path. Doubtless there will be snags along the way but I'd be grateful for comments / tips. I'm hoping to get results on a budget of £200 for the hardware (so far so good) plus the perpetual license for the software.  There are some alternative software options. RSpec's license is in the region of £100 while BASS is free. I guess it makes sense to try BASS first, right?

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I'm using a small Newtonian to capture spectra with an SA100.  Since the spectra cover a large part of a small sensor, I'm not sure whether it's worth putting a coma corrector in front of the grating.  

Ie Coma corrector=>SA100=>Sensor

But its only an 8x13 mm sensor.  May not be enough for much coma.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Kind regards

Steve.

12 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Steve,

The coma corrector is not necessary with the grating. Just concentrate on getting a well focused spectral image ;)

Hi Merlin66,

I forgot to say, it's an f/4. Does that make any difference?

I guess I'll concentrate on acquiring a mono cam instead, then. It'll make the processing easier.

Tx

Steve.

small Newtonians are the  ideal scope to with the Star Analyser. As my calculator on the RSpec website  shows f4 is at the fast end but still  just ok for an SA100.

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro
clarrification
  • Like 1