Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

oobydooby

Poor response to a for sale ad.

I hope I am not stepping on toes here and there may be a reason, but a few days ago I responded to an advert if an item was still available.  I have since heard nothing and cannot be bothere if the seller will not respond.  Either he/she wants to sell or does not.. either way a reply would have been courteous.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

I hope I am not stepping on toes here and there may be a reason, but a few days ago I responded to an advert if an item was still available.  I have since heard nothing and cannot be bothere if the seller will not respond.  Either he/she wants to sell or does not.. either way a reply would have been courteous.

Stuff goes on in people’s lives outside of the forum, often the reason that prompts for sale adverts.   Take it on the chin and move on, I’m sure it’s nothing personal 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

It is quite easy to miss communications these days, or the seller may have been away for a few days. I would tend not to judge harshly and just drop a reminder message. If you don't hear anything then just let it go.

• Like 2

It can also happen if the item is now sold, and the ad not been updated, then the seller may not be checking on here for messages, as if like me they don’t get them coming to email too, so the only way to see them is visiting this forum.. 😀

Did you respond via the advert or a PM?  PM's will go through to their E Mail address.

Carole 

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

Did you respond via the advert or a PM?  PM's will go through to their E Mail address.

Carole 

Hmmm, not if like me it’s not set up too... 😀

• Sad 1

When this happens to me I send them a friendly reminder in case they didn’t get the first message. Find it’s best to post that you have sent  a PM on the sale thread as well as sending a PM.

If no reply then I probably wouldn't bother replying to any other thing they put up for sale later on.

Edited by johninderby

3 hours ago, oobydooby said:

If they want to sell it they will reply, if they don't want to sell it then just move on. 

Rules are that you should post questions/make offers in the thread, not by PM.

46 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Is that right...?

Well I did not know that, I have always made offers via PM, and I have rarely seen offers from anybody in the actual post..!!

• Like 1

Usually it’s just a mention that a PM has been sent sometimes with the comment I’ll take that please or something similar. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

Just for clarification, this is not a rule. It's mearly a request from the admin team. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Just for clarification, this is not a rule. It's mearly a request from the admin team. 

Ah ok, ... 👍

Edited by WanderingEye

Iv'e waited over a week before a reply.  With the response being oh sorry iv'e been on holiday.

Which to me really isn't a problem.

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

Though the statement “please post questions and offers in the thread not by PM” is in the thread titled “classified RULES” pinned in the classified section!!

I tend not to agree with most of the replys here.

If you post an advert to sell you should check your emails or forum daily.If people are interested and take the time to reply to your add,you cant just ignore or go away on holiday without checking.Most people now have mobile phones.The person replying does,nt know if you have changed your mind/sold or whatever. The buyer does,nt know whether to move on and look elsewhere or not.

My view anyway.

Mick.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Though the statement “please post questions and offers in the thread not by PM” is in the thread titled “classified RULES” pinned in the classified section!!

And the reply right under that post is from an admin stating that its just a request due to it working well on other forums. 

Never mind the “Rules” but common curtesy is to reply reasonably promptly to an ad enquiry or if you will be away and unable to reply until a certain date mention it in your ad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

And the reply right under that post is from an admin stating that its just a request due to it working well on other forums. 

Good spot, guess they need to update the “rules” then in case people like me don’t read beyond the rules post.

• Haha 1

I vaguely recall that the one time that I sold something on here,  I think I had notifications turned off in my profile setting or something like that.  It may be your would-be vendor made the same mistake and would not see replies unless they opened their own ad to look for them?

I have replied with an apology to the seller and I believe he is happy to deal with me.  I admit I have acted hastily and wrongly in the past few days for reason I don't wish to discuss and apologise to you all for stirring up a hornets nest.

oobydooby

• Like 2