Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

ollypenrice

Fritz Zwicky biography.

Recommended Posts

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07TD6CX1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm about half way through this new biography and am enjoying it. While I don't think it's the best-written biography I've ever read I must say I'm finding it hard to put down. Zwicky certainly merits a substantial biography and turns out to be much more than the irascible conflict-monger which is how he often appears in histories of science. He had a considerable input into early rocketry and, in his spare time, was an accomplished and rock-hard alpinist. All interesting stuff.  I bought the Kindle edition which is quite pricey but that's probably because it's a recent release. No regrets though, it's compulsive.

Olly

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this reviews in S@N and thought it be worth a read. Ordered and due for delivery to morrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished the book this morning and am more glad than ever that I read it. While the chronology is sometimes a little disjointed, leading to moments of repetition, and while I was never entirely convinced that the author had really found Fritz Zwicky, this man had such a huge personality that an imperfect portrait can still be resoundlingly worth studying.

About the only Bill Bryson book I haven't read is his Short History of Nearly Everything. According to Zwicky's biographer, Bryson rather plays Zwicky for laughs and quotes his scientific detractors. If so, this won't do at all because Zwicky, at his best, was one of the most penetrating astronomers in the history of science. His prediction of the neutron star some 35 years ahead of the Crab Pulsar discovery and his discovery of the missing mass/dark matter problem speak for themselves. Let's hear it for Fritz Zwicky!

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 15:00, ollypenrice said:

..... No regrets though, it's compulsive.

Olly

 

Thanks Olly. Compulsive is good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:25, ollypenrice said:

.... Zwicky, at his best, was one of the most penetrating astronomers in the history of science. His prediction of the neutron star some 35 years ahead of the Crab Pulsar discovery and his discovery of the missing mass/dark matter problem speak for themselves. Let's hear it for Fritz Zwicky!

Olly

For sure. I've just finished my copy this morning.

 

I feel it's also worth mentioning Zwicky's determination. He spent thousands of hours using relatively poor equipment hunting for the first 'looked for' supernovae. It took several years.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will get a copy of this, as I was just this morning reading the fascinating book BANG the complete history of the universe, by Brian May, Patric Moore (no Sir) and Chris Lintott. In the back pages are short biographies of the most important and Zwicky certainly stood out. His picture is highly animated and I thought about posting it here but I am aware there is something called copyright law.

Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2019 at 21:07, Marvin Jenkins said:

I will get a copy of this, as I was just this morning reading the fascinating book BANG the complete history of the universe, by Brian May, Patric Moore (no Sir) and Chris Lintott. In the back pages are short biographies of the most important and Zwicky certainly stood out. His picture is highly animated and I thought about posting it here but I am aware there is something called copyright law.

Marv

I think the picture in question is very well known and probably hasn't done much for Zwicky's reputation. A link does not infringe copyright. Might it be this one?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fritz+zwicky&rlz=1C1CHBF_enFR821FR821&sxsrf=ACYBGNRzCKp2s9Xxko6_x1a06zff9_3Z_Q:1574619720277&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH-9TIu4PmAhXwDmMBHcRvCe8Q_AUoAXoECBMQAw&biw=1536&bih=750#imgrc=4g2nFfpakmssKM:

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2019 at 19:22, ollypenrice said:

I think the picture in question is very well known and probably hasn't done much for Zwicky's reputation. A link does not infringe copyright. Might it be this one?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fritz+zwicky&rlz=1C1CHBF_enFR821FR821&sxsrf=ACYBGNRzCKp2s9Xxko6_x1a06zff9_3Z_Q:1574619720277&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH-9TIu4PmAhXwDmMBHcRvCe8Q_AUoAXoECBMQAw&biw=1536&bih=750#imgrc=4g2nFfpakmssKM:

Olly

Yep that’s the one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Yep that’s the one.

It's certainly a classic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

It's certainly a classic!

I was certainly taken aback by how aggressive he is reported to have been. I know there are rules on here for keeping it clean and I have seen some comments about swear words in inverted commas with the central letters missing, to leave it to our imaginations not being acceptable.

However, this is the work product of Sir Patrick Moore, Brian May, and Chris Lintott I am going to quote. (Despite copyright law as I am going to also say buy this amazing book, perhaps their legal team won’t kill me)

”He references to his colleagues as “Spherical B’st...s” Spherical, because they appeared to be “B’st...s” no matter which direction you looked at them from.

According to this record he threatened the life of Walter Baade who was a colleague at the same university simply for being German at the time of WW2.

What an unusual guy. Clearly exceptional in his field but I am unclear as to how to feel about him as a fellow member of the human race.

Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.