Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop purchase

I'm realy confused with regards to what version of PS to get. 

On Adobes main page you get to choose between a multitude of monthly recurring payments. I was hoping for a one download deal, instead of a monthly payment.

So I did a google search for Photoshop and was even more confused. I can get Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Premium Elements, Photoshop Full Version, Photoshop Lightroom and a multitude of others that are too numerous to mention here. 

Where can I get a "Photoshop for Astro photography"? Or to put it another way; which version am I looking for?

Adobe has gone away from the one time purchase model and locks you into a subscription service now. Microsoft has done the same thing with their Office products as well. Seems to be the way things are going these days. You may be able to find some old unused copies online. Even some dedicated astrophotography software has gone to a similar model where they charge you a higher upfront purchase price and then a significantly smaller yearly renewal in order to continue to receive updates.

If you're looking for alternatives, I started with Photoshop when I began my astrophotography journey as well, but have since migrated to PixInsight. I know others use Nebulosity, Astro Pixel Processor and several other excellent pieces of software that are specifically designed for astrophotography. You might look into them as well before you decide to purchase anything or sign up for a subscription as the case may be.

Edited by Buzzard75
  • Thanks 1

As far as I’m aware you can’t purchase a copy outright anymore. You used to be able to buy the old version but it’s not available anymore at least through official channels. You might be able to find a version somewhere but you’ll still probably pay around two years worth of subscription and not get any support if there are any issues. 

If you really don’t want to pay a subscription you could consider PixInsight or one of the free processing packages

Edit: @Buzzard75 beat me to the post button but as he says basically!

Edited by Icesheet
  • Thanks 1

You can still buy PS Elements separate as well as Premier separate or you can buy them in a combo . Everything else Adobe makes is in the Cloud with monthly fees . PSE 2020 can do just about all what PS full version does . You should be able to buy it from Adobe or on Amazon or one of your local software stores . 

https://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html?promoid=V2XYKZ3B&mv=other

• Thanks 1

Alternatives:

You still need a camera control and image acquisition software - a cost effective solution is AstroArt http://www.msb-astroart.com/

A complete software for astrophotography: image processing, astrometry, photometry, camera and telescope control.

All major cameras, telescopes, filter wheels and focusers are supported by Astroart. Updated plugins are released for free.

For tweaking the images PaintShopPro  https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/  has all the features of PS and most of the Plug-ins. 

• Thanks 1

This monthly subscription greed is why the vast majority of PS users stick to CS2, 3, 4, or 5... After all they all do the job, and do it very well.. they're fast and smooth to use... At work they "upgraded" to the cloud based monthly subscription versions and they're slow and laggy... not comfortable to use any more.. and that's what we're meant to pay a for forever???.. People always find a way not to be stung by a endless monthly payment for something you never will own.... and the new versions do not have any useful features that are missed in the older versions that we can own outright.

Edited by MarsG76
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Alternatives:

You still need a camera control and image acquisition software - a cost effective solution is AstroArt http://www.msb-astroart.com/

A complete software for astrophotography: image processing, astrometry, photometry, camera and telescope control.

All major cameras, telescopes, filter wheels and focusers are supported by Astroart. Updated plugins are released for free.

For tweaking the images PaintShopPro  https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/  has all the features of PS and most of the Plug-ins. 

+1 for AstroArt, now in V7 and vastly improved from the V5 I was using. I use it for everything from stacking onwards, but then I'm a lazy cheapskate.

• Thanks 1

+1 for GIMP, free and has most, if not all, of the standard features used for AP in PS. The latest PS Cloud based version seems quite an investment if you only want it for AP, I’d rather spend the cash on hardware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou all for the many very helpful advice.

I was/am not blind to other programs such as Gimp and a few others whos names escape me at the moment.

I had however not heard of Astroart. I will definately be looking into that.

The reason I was so set on Photoshop was purely because it seems to be the common denominator when photos are presented. They may have been stacked, or otherwise treated in other programs. But quite often the final tweeks are supposedly made in PS.

Anyway, I have a lot of food for thought and a lot of links to browse through. Thanks all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Gearless said:

Thankyou all for the many very helpful advice.

I was/am not blind to other programs such as Gimp and a few others whos names escape me at the moment.

I had however not heard of Astroart. I will definately be looking into that.

The reason I was so set on Photoshop was purely because it seems to be the common denominator when photos are presented. They may have been stacked, or otherwise treated in other programs. But quite often the final tweeks are supposedly made in PS.

Anyway, I have a lot of food for thought and a lot of links to browse through. Thanks all.

I never said but I actually have CS5 , PSE 10 and Premier 10 . I use to use Premier a lot but I've slacked off video editing but both PSE and Premier I got as a package deal cause it was cheaper . But even then if you use all tools properly there are many many techniques to do in PS . One of the things I like about CS5 is you can use one of the tools (can't remember cause i'm at work ) but you can make objects in an image disappear easily like removing a telephone pole or street light or some small object that's annoying to your image . A lot like cloning . I like PS CS5 cause I have many editing softwares that I use that I can send directly to PS like Photomatix for example . Another I use is Topaz Software and most all of them work as a plugin to PS CS5 however Topaz has got into the iCloud stuff so they don't have as many products as use to which I think was a mistake cause I no longer deal with them for upgrades or new products . One thing I do not like is dealing with the iCloud softwares but most all software developers have gone to the Cloud so I only  work with software I have already purchased before the Cloud .  Adobe was the first I believe that started the Cloud and that's when I stopped using Adobe :( . Great products but I refuse to pay monthly or yearly subscriptions for product that should rightfully be mine . PS CS5 has a stacking tool but many prefer not to use it cause it is a bit difficult to get use to . But as mentioned plenty of other good software . 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, celestron8g8 said:

I never said but I actually have CS5 , PSE 10 and Premier 10 . I use to use Premier a lot but I've slacked off video editing but both PSE and Premier I got as a package deal cause it was cheaper . But even then if you use all tools properly there are many many techniques to do in PS . One of the things I like about CS5 is you can use one of the tools (can't remember cause i'm at work ) but you can make objects in an image disappear easily like removing a telephone pole or street light or some small object that's annoying to your image . A lot like cloning . I like PS CS5 cause I have many editing softwares that I use that I can send directly to PS like Photomatix for example . Another I use is Topaz Software and most all of them work as a plugin to PS CS5 however Topaz has got into the iCloud stuff so they don't have as many products as use to which I think was a mistake cause I no longer deal with them for upgrades or new products . One thing I do not like is dealing with the iCloud softwares but most all software developers have gone to the Cloud so I only  work with software I have already purchased before the Cloud .  Adobe was the first I believe that started the Cloud and that's when I stopped using Adobe :( . Great products but I refuse to pay monthly or yearly subscriptions for product that should rightfully be mine . PS CS5 has a stacking tool but many prefer not to use it cause it is a bit difficult to get use to . But as mentioned plenty of other good software . 

I have the same approach as you towards monthly payments; heck no! I want something I can use where- and whenever I want, without having to rely on being able to log in.

I am sure I can get a hold of some bootleg copy of an older version of PS on piratebay or something. But I would actualy prefer to pay for it as I should. However, if commiting to some monthly scheme is the only other legal option, they may be forcing my hand on this issue. 

I am still perusing the other options suggested in this thread. If PS is making it too hard for me (or too ilegal) to get a working copy on my computer, I may drop it entirely. But the link that celestron8g8 suggested looks promising. I just want to make 100% sure that I won't have to sign up for a monthly scheme once I've bought it.

Edit: The link celestron8g8 posted does seem to be legit. Halway through purchasing process it says 'Full License'. So I think I'm sorted. 

Edited by George Gearless

When you find what your looking for just make sure it doesn’t have Creative Cloud attached to it . If it says CLOUD in anyway it will be in the Cloud . Right now as i mentioned PSE and Premier are the only ones Adobe has available that’s not in the Cloud . LIGHT ROOM just went into the Cloud either last year or year before . Just a month before i was going to buy it . When you register it will ask if you want to join and all you need to do is decline the Cloud . Actually you can register online if you want to but if you don't want to register it it should give you options to print and mail registration. I did that long ago with PS7 and i just filed it and never mailed it in . 

Heres another place to find software

https://www.newegg.com/?nm_mc=knc-msnsearch-Mobile&cm_mmc=knc-msnsearch-Mobile-_-Branding-_-Main-_-Newegg&msclkid=56e4d46363691117c42389a288e90140&gclid=CI6BgOCD1OUCFcHJDQod42cJxQ&gclsrc=ds

Edited by celestron8g8
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

I have the same approach as you towards monthly payments; heck no! I want something I can use where- and whenever I want, without having to rely on being able to log in.

I am sure I can get a hold of some bootleg copy of an older version of PS on piratebay or something. But I would actualy prefer to pay for it as I should. However, if commiting to some monthly scheme is the only other legal option, they may be forcing my hand on this issue. 

I am still perusing the other options suggested in this thread. If PS is making it too hard for me (or too ilegal) to get a working copy on my computer, I may drop it entirely. But the link that celestron8g8 suggested looks promising. I just want to make 100% sure that I won't have to sign up for a monthly scheme once I've bought it.

Edit: The link celestron8g8 posted does seem to be legit. Halway through purchasing process it says 'Full License'. So I think I'm sorted. 

But you can use PS CC any where and on two computers, it is not in the cloud but loaded on the computers.

You will get Creative Cloud Desktop which once logged in normally stays in and you can work offline for 99days as an annual member
and 30days as a monthly member.

But where's the advantage with CC ?  Once downloaded on your computer then say 6 months down the road you decide you no longer want to be a member of the Cloud , what then ? Does what you downloaded still work to full capacity or does it stop working within a certain time or does it self un-install  ?? Is it still useable forever if you never join the Cloud again ??  If at some point it's not useable then all that money you spent is down the drain with non working software .  But if you own the actual software it still works to full capacity . Only disadvantage is it's no longer supported for updates . I can live with that cause all my software still works to full capacity AND I have a CD with the software to install on my computers all I want any time No need to continue to register cause once registered that's permanent .  So all I have to do is do a print out for mail in and just file it away .  

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have PS CS6 but it is pretty much useless with my new Canon camera as it does not support its RAW files so I switched to Affinity Photo and to be honest its hard to tell the difference.

Alan

Adobe DNG converter will change all new CR2 Raw files into 16bit DNG that can be opened and processed as raw in any photoshop version. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

But where's the advantage with CC ?  Once downloaded on your computer then say 6 months down the road you decide you no longer want to be a member of the Cloud , what then ? Does what you downloaded still work to full capacity or does it stop working within a certain time or does it self un-install  ?? Is it still useable forever if you never join the Cloud again ??  If at some point it's not useable then all that money you spent is down the drain with non working software .  But if you own the actual software it still works to full capacity . Only disadvantage is it's no longer supported for updates . I can live with that cause all my software still works to full capacity AND I have a CD with the software to install on my computers all I want any time No need to continue to register cause once registered that's permanent .  So all I have to do is do a print out for mail in and just file it away .  

Of course,  it's a subscription, stop paying and the software will not work.
The money is not down the drain if you got to use the software.
Lets face it, if you only use very little don't subscribe find something else.

Lets make it clear, you never own the software.
You buy a cd or whatever with a license, the license normally allows you to use it with restrictions.

Did you ever buy any full version of PS, if you did you know how expensive that was.
The subscription is a good way in for many people and your always fully up to date.

Yes there are alternatives so if you don't like the model your not forced to pay.

Also, if considering PS, make sure you are not in any country the US might put an embargo on. As it nearly happened with Venezuela, Adobe might prevent access to the subscribed Software. If you don't want to be dependent on the whims of unstable minds, choose something else.

My vote goes to PixInsight. Or use the trial of APP. The free route probably would be siril and the gimp.

Sven