SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pixel Skies Remote Observatory Hosting

andrew s

I came across Pixel Skies via Ian King Imaging. I had inquired about hosing at the IC Astronomy site at Oria in Spain but it was full. However, a new site was under development at Castillejar which was owned by Pixel Skies.  On the ground both are manged by the same quartet of people.

I decided to take my kit to Castillejar and was met at the Petrol station by Dave and Colin who led me out of the village to the site. On approaching the site I was struck both by the security fencing and how spotless the area was. The equipment was quickly unpacked with the additional help of Michelle and Sam who also offered refreshment.

The observatories are of a run off roof  design but the mount and telescope are installed so as to allow the roof to close whatever the position there are in.  The intended pillar for my set up was too tall so a visit to Oria was required to fashioned a new pillar. This allowed me to see that site which is very similar to the one at Castillejar, It too was spotless inside and out and housed an impressive array of both commercially owned and private equipment.

Unfortunately, that prevented us from setting up that night but that was compensated for by just seeing such a magnificent sky. The Milky Way was overhead and I could trace the ribbon easily. I could see no trace of light pollution.

I was staying at the site on a B&B basis. The accommodation was in a cave house common in the area and was spacious and furnished to a very high standard and a well stocked fridge to provide breakfast. 

Next day, the equipment was installed by Colin and Dave. I was impressed by their working practices which kept the area clean with no dust. They clean the equipment regularly the scope already in the observatory I was sharing was spotless. I was allowed to fit my spectroscopic back end and gps clock etc. Again all was kept neat and tidy. While I had an IP Power switch they can be provided as was a UPS. Dave also installed their preferred remote access software and the roof control and monitoring software on my PC. 

One of the benefits at Pixel Skies is that they manage the opening and closing of the roof and being on site if problems arise. The also have a problem reporting and ticket management system shared with IC Astronomy, although I have not needed this yet.

That evening I polar aligned and did a 255 point Tpoint model only 3 point failed to image link and all the rest were accepted in the model which gave ~16 arc seconds pointing better than I got a home. One consequence of the roof missing the telescope is that it restricts the horizon to about 30 to 40 deg in my case. A small price to pay in my view.

On my final night I check the alignment of the spectroscope and took some test data. The next morning we signed the contract and said farewell after a delightful visit. 

Security is good at the site, with fence and metal doors with bar and lock. It is remote and manned most of the time.

For anyone considering a full hosting option or just needing a pad to set up an observatory I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Pixel Skies. They have a web site here https://www.pixelskiesastro.com/ or can be contacted on info@pixelskiesastro.com.

Regards Andrew

• Like 1