Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging all round kit advice please.

thanks for all the comments and insights.

Am looking at second hand, i think that's good advice. Then I can upgrade and sell stuff later.

I have done A LOT of reading about all this and even how the light comes through the lens, the difference between doublet and triplet and ED.

I see that the evo is f7.5 and esprit f5.5 but the 80ed has a bigger FOV.

Will get second hand esprit if one is available or new evo.

Def the HEQ5 mount. GPS mouse yes or no? I am based in one place and unlikely to move that scope unit around so once im set up will be the same data each time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2019 at 20:56, wuthton said:

How much light pollution are you battling? If it's low then you're a lucky sod and ignore the following but if it's high you will go down the road of narrowband imaging very quickly. 

With high levels of light pollution you're better off spending on your camera and filters (imo) than on the glass as the colour correction is neither here nor there. 

Below is one of my efforts with an 85mm Samyang camera lens, Baader 7nm filters and an Atik 314l under Bortle 6 skies. The whole of which can be picked up for less than an Esprit.

There's also some much, much better efforts here with the 135mm.  

North_America_DBE.png

hi Matt, i have looked at the Samyang 135mm lens. around £400. I then found a zoom lens 50mm to 200mm. so will that give similar results to the 135mm or am i missing something? I know the sayang has superior umc coatings but wonder if the focal length is the main thing here? thanks.

29 minutes ago, spikkyboy said:

hi Matt, i have looked at the Samyang 135mm lens. around £400. I then found a zoom lens 50mm to 200mm. so will that give similar results to the 135mm or am i missing something? I know the sayang has superior umc coatings but wonder if the focal length is the main thing here? thanks.

You very seldom get a flat field with a zoom lens, questionable levels of CA too. 

Fixed, prime lenses are always better. 

• Like 1