1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Tips for keeping warm?

Ok now its getting really cold round here, I thought I'd ask for peoples advice on how to keep warm.

I've got the usual like great big thick coats and 3/4 layers of clothing. The hot water bottles and gloves and good hat.

Even so with all that it can still feel really cold sometimes. So any advice?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment my hat is one of the 'hacker' hats off thinkgeek, its not lined or anything like that. The coats, well I have two one donkey jacket and one old german army parka with the lining and the elastic in the cuffs to keep them closed.

Even so after about an hour outside i'm freezing up and need to pop inside to sit in front of the lil space heater we have down in the kitchen.

As for shoes I wear great big huge steel capped safety boots, so i'd hope they are good enough.

good pair of socks bridgedale ,thermal long johns and vest ,mole skin trousers, ski suite, animal hoody,, thermal hat, thick pair hiking boots or shoes and gloves im ill and i can do all night easy the only problem i get is sweating, i got a breathable ski jacket so the sweat gos on the outside of the jacket and i stay dry same with my hat and hot drinks...........kev :thumbright:

I have found that wearing a pair of golf trousers (i.e. the waxy ones you can use for hiking, walking, golf, running etc) which are windproof and waterproof are especialy good at combating the cold, I am sure we all know the feeling of cold on our legs, even if there is no wind, this works a treat!

A good pair of walking boots and proper socks are useful, some people I knew at university used carrier bags on their feet inside the shoes to keep them warm.

Also try tucking newspaper in jackets...it an oldy but a goody/

laughing4.gif[quote author=Kit-Fox

As for shoes I wear great big huge steel capped safety boots, so i'd hope they are good enough.

you coulden,t ware a worse pair of footwear steel next to yer feet :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: ,,,,,,kev COLD

Meh, they were free.

if yer feet are warm keep them and buy a good pair of socks 15 20 quid which will last you about 3years,i literally put my life on the line for this hobby cos i love it and i ain't going to sit in the house when theres a clear sky so keeping warm and comfortable is very important theres no need to suffer you just dont want to be there freezing yer nuts off on rare clear nights enjoy..........kev :thumbright:

I observe occasionally in temperatures as low as -15. Any colder than that and I don't bother, unless there is something really unusual going on.

I wear my indoor clothes, which includes a heavy woolen jumper in winter, and over that I wear a parka with lots of loft. I wear a watch cap, and felt-lined boots. If my feet get cold, I pull up the hood on the parka. As I'm well-protected from wind, and have a pretty good resistance to cold, I don't need much more.

I've been thinking of trying one of those chemical pads that goes on your lower back and heats up for several hours. They are marketed for backache, but I think they would make for a very comfortable night.

No probs Kev, I'm not ignoring whats been said it just that they were free damn it. I'm gonna have to look for a better suited pair to wear then obviously. Not a problem.

I have just recently got a pair of Snow Boots from Decathalon , they are fur lined and cost just £10.Nice and toastie :D

The other thing is go for lots of layers rather than just one thick layer as the individual layers trap air between them (a bit like double glazing) , I usually wear a t shirt , fleece and then a nice thick North Face Parka , im never cold.

3x pairs of socks(1x thin,1x snowboard,1x walking), thermal longjohns, quilted windproof trousers, thin thermal t-shirt, thermal microfleece L-sleeved top, fleece, quick silver long quilted parker, thermal hat, silk glove liners, thermal gloves, hot drinks ! :D

My hands and feet were always the first things to go, so I kept on checking local outdoors shops for deals on walking boots and got an excellent pair for half price - my feet have never since got cold. That and at least two pairs of socks.

For my hands, fingerless gloves for when I need to do fine work like turning thumbscrews or whatever, but they have a flap to cover your fingers for when you don't use them - absolute lifesaver. Also, for the fingers something I discovered recently is disposable gloves. I spent 2 hours making an igloo just with these under my fingerless gloves and didn't get at all cold!

For the legs - brilliant knee-high knitted socks I found in Lidl last year, and waterproof trousers.

Body - whatever you can find. With me, invariably T-shirt, cotton jumper and 2 woollen jumpers under my ordinary winter jacket. Nothing high-tech but works every time. Wool is an amazing insulator.

Head - a hat is vital. Again, wool works wonders.

That's how I do it - simple but effective.

Andrew

I am wearing lots of layers and after laughing at hubbie wearing one of those hats that covers the ears, I bought one of them too! My head and ears are nice and warm now.

I was going to ask about footwear as I am finding that my feet are like ice blocks and they still feel cold this morning! Looking at the responses already, it looks like some thick soled walking boots (or similar) are a must and some nice warm socks.

Autoguider and a laptop/vnc connection from the iphone to outdoors...

Warm as toast inside then.. save the 30 mins setup and 30 mins breakdown time at the end of the night, and the 1 minute popping outside every 2 hours or so just to make sure all is well, and the cloud reports from the met office aren't lying

Feel free to slap me... :whip2: :whip2: :whip2:

In all seriousness, when I do have to stand outside, lots and lots of layers...typically around 2-3 shirts, 1-2 jumpers, 2 coats, hat, gloves, thermal long johns, and lots of socks

Check out ski and fishing gear. My outer layer is a ski coat, thick ski pants and ski mask plus thinsulate hat plus hood. Mid layer is one or more fleece jackets and pants, with full-length thermal undies for base layer(s). Multiple thermal socks, and for boots I use Eiger Sirius wellies, which have a thermal lining. I've also thought of getting a thermal "bib and brace" of the kind that anglers wear under waders, which would replace a few layers and make dressing quicker!

When you wear lots of layers it takes time for your body to heat up the clothing, so make sure you're warm before you go into the cold - or do some vigorous walking to get warm. A good meal beforehand will help. Don't put on so many socks that you can't move your toes, otherwise they'll get cold.

Andrew

I'm with Steve, I've a Goose Down jacket I use for climbing fantastic, then hat gloves and socks I suggest material that "wicks" sweat and keeps you dry. I use a base layer, mid layer and outer shell but stood around you will get cold unless of course your in a down jacket but then the legs feel cold compared :D

Daft hat, Quilted, waterproof all in one suit, thick socks, snood and the kind of gloves we get issued with to drive the fast rescue craft with.

Most important of all, a nice warm wife to cuddle up beside at 4am*

*Some ear plugs/suit of armour would be handy at this point

Recently bought a pair of fingerless gloves with a mitten end that velcros back. I got them in a country pursuits shop - I guess they are for shooting, etc. The make was Thinsulate, and despite being cheap they have been quite effective so far.

Allan

i use a fishermans quilted bib and brace very warm and totally waterproof cost approx £20 on top of this i wear a quilted waterproof coat also used for fishing cost £30 plus neoprene gloves and a woolly hat to keep my ears warm. the real secret to keeping warm as the temp drops is lots of thin layers rather than one or two thick ones lots of trapped air as insulation also don't forget stout shoes or boots and woolen full length socks amazing how miserable cold feet will make you and damp as well so keep top layers waterproof In my younger days i made several trips to goose bay in Canada approx 1000km inside the arctic circle courtesy of the Royal Air Force so use to cold weather and how to stay warm and alive temp up there never goes above minus 14 centigrade and with windchill can go as low as minus 50 and I'm still here to tell the tale regards Pete