Narrowband

Best value OIII filter?

Rob_Jn

Looking to try some bicolour images as my light pollution is much worse sine the installation of LED street lighting nearby and wondering what the best value OIII filter is for CCD.

I already have an Astronomik 12nm Ha filter, would an Astronomik OIII be worth getting?

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

OIII is the hardest narrow band filter to produce due to the shorter wavelength requiring more precise coating thicknesses. Hence you will see cheaper filters creating more reflections and often having lower peek transmission in OIII than in Ha or SII. Thats not to say that the cheaper filters will not give you good results, just don't expect perfection.

12nm is really quite wide for OIII as its also where you have the worse light polution. I would say that if your going to spend money on a filter then OIII is not the one to skimp on.  

• Like 1

The Baader filters are a good price, but value is harder to determine.  As Adam says, OIII is not the filter to skimp on.  I have the Astrodon 3nm bandpass which is eye wateringly expensive but I view it as the most important filter in my carousel so for me it is still good value.

• Like 1

I also think that Adam is absolutely correct.

I upgraded to a Chroma OIII filter a year ago.  I really was wasting my time on OIII before that.

OIII is far more sensitive to light pollution and moonlight, so the narrow (3nm) bandwidth is more important than for Ha.

• Like 1

I can highly recommend the Baader Ultra NB filters. Whilst I would love the Astrodons there was no way I could afford the set and originally was going for the normal Baader NB filters but was warned that the OIII had problematic halos so went for the Ultras for Ha and OIII, I only have the normal SII but that was just because I couldn't get a Ultra SII in 36mm for love nor money. So far I have not seen any halos with any of them.

If you are also after the Ha Ultra there was one for sale on SGL for £130

baader-35nm-ha-125-filter

There was also a OIII but was 31mm unmounted, some filter wheel can use either 1.25" or 31mm on same wheel I think so not sure if yours can.

baader-ultra-narrowband-45nm-oiii-filter-31mm-unmounted

Steve

When I bought my set of Astrodons they were "only" £385 each, and I thought that was painful. No way would I buy even one now. I do have a set of the Baader Ultra-Narrow on order but waiting for the 2" HII one, got the [SII] and [OIII] waiting to go in the wheel.

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I can highly recommend the Baader Ultra NB filters. Whilst I would love the Astrodons there was no way I could afford the set and originally was going for the normal Baader NB filters but was warned that the OIII had problematic halos so went for the Ultras for Ha and OIII, I only have the normal SII but that was just because I couldn't get a Ultra SII in 36mm for love nor money. So far I have not seen any halos with any of them.

If you are also after the Ha Ultra there was one for sale on SGL for £130

baader-35nm-ha-125-filter

There was also a OIII but was 31mm unmounted, some filter wheel can use either 1.25" or 31mm on same wheel I think so not sure if yours can.

baader-ultra-narrowband-45nm-oiii-filter-31mm-unmounted

Steve

Probably said it before but a image of a bright ish star with all three ultra narrow band filters would be great. 

20 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Probably said it before but a image of a bright ish star with all three ultra narrow band filters would be great. 

Just looked through my images taken since obtaining the Baader Ultras (as I said I only have Ha and OIII) and really I have not had any with particularly brightest stars.

From info I had before buying them it was the OIII that was particularly bad and I did post an early image with a close up of some stars with the OIII filter.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/339361-unmounted-filters-which-side-should-face-the-scope/?tab=comments#comment-3730484

But I will try this test when I can. but as I am due to fly to China working there till Christmas it might not be for a while.

Steve