SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scope, tracking mount and tripod under £500

I'm looking for my first scope and Go-to tracking mount and tripod bundle. 

I've been using the SA for my astrophotography for about 2 years now and think its time to move up. 

Is there something out there for under £500 SH? 

For visual or astrophotography?  For visual, there's the Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 AZ GTi for £476 from our sponsor FLO.  If a Mak doesn't suit you, you could get the Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150i WiFi for £389 and have some money left over for eyepieces and other accessories.  If you insist on astrophotography, I think @banjaxed is right, most of your £500 will have to go toward the mount alone.

If you go secondhand you'll get a more future-proof set up within your budget.  There's an HEQ5 mount in the classifieds (part of a package, but seller says he may split) which would be a super mount for you (there's also the larger EQ6 at a good price, but you'll notice a huge difference in weight etc from your SA!! and it will be overkill for you at the moment).  The HEQ5 is much better than an EQ5 😉 

Helen

24 minutes ago, Leon-Fleet said:

@Helen thanks. 

I think SH is the way to go. although i find it all quite confusing. 

Am I right in thinking all GOTO mounts will track? So perhaps an EQ3 might suit my needs? 

A quick guide to mounts...

Two basic types:

- Alt Az which move up and down (ALTitude)  and left and right (AZimuth).  These are intuative to point, and so great for visual work.  For alt-az mounts to follow objects (ie compensate for the rotation of the Earth) you need to move the mount in both axes (as the relative path of the object is an arc).  This can be done manually, or with motors.  If you take a long exposure photo with a tracking alt az mount you will notice the field of view rotates - the camera chip stays at the same oriention to the horizontal while the object moves in an arc.  Hence, alt az mounts are not ideal for long exposure photography.

- EQ equatorial mounts are designed to mirror the Earth's rotation (that's what your SA is).  By setting the axis of rotation to the pole you can follow objects in arcs with movement of just one axis.  This is better for photography, but takes a little getting used to for visual!  And the orientation of the scope and camera changes, which can also cause challenges....  Again, these can be manual (often with slow motion controls) or motorised for automatic tracking.

For both these types of mounts it is possible to add GOTO.  After aligning the scope (ie telling it where it is, what time it is, and where in the sky it is positioned) the scope can take you to objects you select.  Proper goto uses the motors of a tracking mount to take you there and then tracks the object for you too.  There is a manual version often called 'Push-to' where the mount has encoders for position so it knows where it is pointing (once aligned) and it gives you information so that you can move the mount manually to the object, you then have to nudge the mount to keep viewing the object as it moves with the sky.

For photography you need a tracking mount, but not necessarily goto (eg your SA).  But goto undoubtedly makes things easier!

The difference then in mounts is about carrying capacity, tracking accuracy, ease of use.  For imaging, particularly at longer focal lengths, you need an accurate reliable mount.

An EQ3 Pro is a nice small mount, with goto.  It would be an improvement in your SA more for the load it can carry, rather than the accuracy of the tracking (the SA is very good for this), as well as the goto of course.

I'd say that if you think you will get more into this and want better results then a secondhand HEQ5 is much better value than a new EQ3 or EQ5.  Match it with an ED80 and you can keep yourself amused (well challenged!) for years!!

If you haven't already got the book Making Every Photon Count get it now!!! https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Have fun!

Helen

• Like 1

@Helen thanks so much for the explanation, it's much clearer now. 

It looks like i'll still need to save a bit more for the ideal set up. 

I've been looking around and i think I could afford an EQ3-2 with GOTO and a 130PDS. I can add my QHDM guiding set up. 

does that sound like a wise move? 

4 hours ago, Leon-Fleet said:

@banjaxed - i've seen the ad, it looks like a great set up but a bit far to go an pick up I'm afraid. 

Ask if they'd meet you halfway to split the distance between you two.  Find some nice town in the middle to explore and make a day trip of it.

1 hour ago, Leon-Fleet said:

@Louis D its gone! :( 

Get used to that feeling.  It happens a lot on good deals on the astro classifieds.  On the upside, there is the elation of snagging a bargain every once in a while.  That's how I got my AT72ED, DSV-1 mount, 22mm NT4 and 14mm Meade 4000 UWA smoothie.