Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PrimaLuceLab’s Eagle Core

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

Dont have or know Eagle box other than it runs Wins 10. But if it supports Ascom you can do platesolving (assuming that the eagle allows software installs!) using Astrotortilla as this has an inbuilt ASCOM mount interface and even if it cannot interface with your camera(s) (it needs a supported ascom camera) you can use the manual "load image" part of Astrotortilla to use an image to solve and this will inform all ASCOM mount software the solved Ra/Dec - again assuming Eagle uses or makes available the mount driver via ASCOM. So the workflow would be take image,load image into Astrotortilla,Platesolve abd if ok sync mount - the latter should then show you where your mount is pointing (via your Planeltarium software)

the requirement would be

1. Able to install Astrotortilla onto Eagle

2. Load correct index's for your camera's FOV - have you enough disc space

3. Set the correct paramters for Astrotortilla (google SGL Astrotortilla) so get max solving speed

4. Celeron CPU will be slower for Platesolving so faster version the better.

Note depending on your FOV and how close your mount is to the object selected the platesolving times will differ. Also your CPU type ,  using SSD and memory also effect the platesolving speed.

There are other options such as ASTAP (very fast and very simple to install as it comes with its own Index's of about 700mb),ASPS (will auto sync mount) ,platesolve2 and even local Astrometry.net but you would have to pass the cords manual unless you can do command line scripts under Windows

IMO I do not see that Eagle manufactures have a valid reason for not implementing Platesolving as you will not be taking images while platesolving and the rest of the software will be dormant or using little CPU time.

This thread is for Eagle Core and not the Eagle. They are different - Eagle Core runs a proprietary OS and not Windows. There is absolutely no way to implement platesolving on Eagle Core. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kunene said:

This thread is for Eagle Core and not the Eagle. They are different - Eagle Core runs a proprietary OS and not Windows. There is absolutely no way to implement platesolving on Eagle Core. 

OK -  then "up the creek" comes to mind - without them devoping an platesolving interface or software!!! OR using hub software (not USB Hub)which allows use of the Synscan handcontroller and Eagle core - as I am led to believe Tthe "core" is compatible with the Synscan Hand controller - or is that via Safari only ? Then you would need a laptop etc to platesolve - kinder defeats what you want I guess. Oh Well

• Like 1

Thanks stash_old and kunene. As kunene says the Eagle Core is different to the bigger Eagle pc models in the PLL stable line up in that rather than using Windows 10 Enterprise it runs on its own proprietory Eagle software, I think it's Linux based. Earlier posts in this thread detail the hardware found inside the Eagle Core.

Cheers,

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, kunene said:

There was actually an update to ver 2.9 a week ago but it only added 2 cameras.

Thanks for highlighting the latest v2.9 kunene, I'll take a look later at which extra cameras have been added to the Eagle Core's support.

I'm sorry you feel let down there's not more in the update and that it might signal an overall lack ideas for development for the device. The history of the Eagle Core updates has been irregular in the past mixing minor additions with some useful ideas from time to time.

Cheers,
Steve

Here's a complete list of the contents of all the Eagle Core updates. as you say kunene v2.9 adds support for two cameras and fixes an error for the Canon EOS 450D. 

Added 3.10.2020-finally had some spare time to check if there were changes to the supporting pdf manual with the v2.9 firmware. Unfortunately I can't see any difference. The paper and online manuals really do need updating now and bringing into line with current capabilities of the software and device.

Cheers,
Steve

Last version 2.9 25/09/2020:

1) Added support to Nikon D3200 (it doesn't shoot in B mode)

2) Added support to Canon EOS 77D

3) Fixed an error with Canon EOS 450D

Version 2.8 25/06/2020:

1) Added possibility to set a delay time between images

2) Added support to Canon EOS 4000D

3) Added support to Nikon Z50 and D850

Version 2.7 02/03/2020:

1) Added support of SESTO SENSO 2 and ESATTO focusers

Version 2.6 12/07/2019:

1) Added support of Celestron equatorial mounts with NexStar+ handpad

2) Added support to Canon EOS 450D and Nikon D90 cameras

Version 2.5 26/03/2019:

1) Added support of computerized mounts

2) Added support to Canon EOS R and Nikon Z6/Z7 mirrorless cameras

Version 2.4 01/02/2019:

1) Added Auto Dithering feature

2) Added support to Canon EOS 1100D

3) Improved sequences control

Last version 2.2 06/09/2018:

1) Added support to guide cameras ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC-S, ASI178MM, ASI290MM, ASI290MC

2) Added support to Canon EOS 500D, 650D, 800D, 80D and 5D Mark IV

Version 2.1 15/05/2018:

1) Added support to Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Update version 2.0 17/04/2018:

1) Added support to SESTO SENSO robotic focusing motor

2) Added support to Nikon D5300 camera

Update version 1.0.20 01/12/2017:

1) Added support to Canon EOS 450D, 1300D, 750D, 70D and Nikon D800E cameras

Update version 1.0.15 24/07/2017:

1) Added support to Canon EOS 60D and 60Da

2) Added support to Canon EOS 5D Mark III

3) Added + and - button to decrease/increase Y scale of guide graph

4) ÒguidingÓ button is now disabled during Calibration

Update version 1.0.10 31/05/2017:

1) Fixed an even that could pause autoguide

2) Fixed guide star selection with a tap on the screen

3) Increased system speed

Update version 1.0.9 24/05/2017:

1) Fixed the exposition times for the QHY5L-II camera

2) Now the image resolution of the QHY5L-II camera is correctly set

3) Added option black/white for the guide camera

4) "matrix width" and "matrix height" values are now correctly visualized

5) Added the parameter "Guiding rate" in "Advanced settings"

6) Added support to Nikon D750 camera

Edited by SteveNickolls

• 2 weeks later...

How can I make this plate face the correct direction (orientation) ?

I am trying to use it to mount as Small guidescope. I am threading it into the Eagle core 1/4 screw but it wouldn't face forward before getting tight. How do it get the right orientation? 

Thanks

IMG-20201015-WA0000.jpg

6 hours ago, kunene said:

I am trying to use it to mount as Small guidescope. I am threading it into the Eagle core 1/4 screw but it wouldn't face forward before getting tight. How do it get the right orientation? 

Hi kunene, I've had similar problem in the past on various combinations of mount etc and I've found a piece of plastic say from a milk carton or a washer or two will often take up the difference between the mated faces to allow a solid orientation of the guidescope. You might need to experiment with a few pieces of plastic/washers until you get the 'right' fit. 👍 Plastic doesn't scratch like washers.

Cheers,
Steve

7 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi kunene, I've had similar problem in the past on various combinations of mount etc and I've found a piece of plastic say from a milk carton or a washer or two will often take up the difference between the mated faces to allow a solid orientation of the guidescope. You might need to experiment with a few pieces of plastic/washers until you get the 'right' fit. 👍 Plastic doesn't scratch like washers.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for your Insight. I hope a piece of plastic won't cause some flexure. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

When I get chance I will check the download zip to see if the pdf manual has been updated.

I've checked this morning and I can't see that the pdf manual has been changed in any way.

It would be good to know if PLL have ever changed the contents of the paper manual that ships with the Eagle Core but verifying this is not easy as the paper manual has no version number. It would be good to know from any new purchaser of the device if the format has changed from the 121 page Italian and English paper manual I have. The English part begins at page 62 and holds information not given in the pdf version. It's important the manual is updated to allow users of the Eagle Core to know what its functionality is for things such as mount control. I will email PLL and ask that the manual is condensed into a pdf that can be kept updated more easily than a printed manual.

Cheers,
Steve

I really don't know  their thinking or reasons for wanting to keep the extended manual in print form.

Probably, it is because they claim that the printed manual also serves as an astrophotography  primer but  there is nothing special about the astrophotography tips I saw in the printed manual. 

Instead , there are several functions of the device that are explained only in the printed manual.  As if they want to make it a secret, only to be seen by those who have bought the device. I don't know how that makes sense. 

The world has since moved past instructional manuals only in printed form.

Yes while it was good at the time to get a detailed printed manual with my Eagle Core it does need to show what the current device can do so I'd vote for a pdf manual available to download online. PLL wouldn't have to print (at some cost) a substantial manual.

Cheers,
Steve

• 1 month later...

Who knows if the screw on the top of Eagle Core is removable  ? I don't want to force it with a plier unless I am sure it's removable.  I am talking about the ball head screw where you can mount a camera.

I have been exploring different methods to mount the Eagle Core On different scopes and guide scopes. I am thinking of  screwing a dovetail clamp on top of the Eagle Core and using it to hold a  mini guide scope. 

Unfortunately, only the Primalucelab clamp has holes that fits exactly  and it is twice as expensive as other clamps.  Who uses Primalucelab clamps or other clamps? 

eagle-core-unita-di-controllo-per-astrofotografia-con-reflex-new_1.jpg

• Like 1

Currently, I mount the Eagle core on top of the telescope guide rings I got from Primalucelab and then mount the 60mm guide scope with Primalucelab guide ring on top of the Eagle core.

However,  I have a small 61mm Apo that the Eagle Core can not go on top of, atleast not with the tube rings it came with and I don't  have the budget right now to buy another Primalucelab guide ring for the scope.

What I am contemplating is mounting the Eagle Core directly on the dovetail bar  and then mounting the 61mm Apo onto of it. I guess it should work that way. 

• Like 1

The Primalucelab lab ecosystem though very aesthetic, therefore very pleasing to the eyes , are very expensive.

I got a pair of  tube rings, guides rings and dovetail bars and cable for over £ 300 . That's even more than what I spent on the Eagle Core itself or the Sesto Sensor I just got. But they are well built stuffs.

However, I think they are a little more expensive than they should be. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kunene said:

Who uses Primalucelab clamps or other clamps? 

Hi, I bought a PLL dovetail clamp when I first ordered my Eagle Core and have used it to hold various parts for imaging such as this accessory from Teleskop Express-

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9891_TS-Optics-Telephoto-Lens-and-Camera-holder-with-Vixen-style-dovetail-bar.html

It would certainly hold a guide set up on a dovetail bar.

49 minutes ago, kunene said:

What I am contemplating is mounting the Eagle Core directly on the dovetail bar  and then mounting the 61mm Apo onto of it. I guess it should work that way. 

I would think that should be fine, do you know what tbe 61 mm scope weighs?

Cheers,

Steve

16 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi, I bought a PLL dovetail clamp when I first ordered my Eagle Core and have used it to hold various parts for imaging such as this accessory from Teleskop Express-

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9891_TS-Optics-Telephoto-Lens-and-Camera-holder-with-Vixen-style-dovetail-bar.html

It would certainly hold a guide set up on a dovetail bar.

I would think that should be fine, do you know what tbe 61 mm scope weighs?

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for your reply.

It weighs just under 2kg.  Do you know if that screw on top is removable? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, kunene said:

Do you know if that screw on top is removable? 

Thanks 

I have never tried to remove the 1/4" screw but would think it was not meant to come out since that could mean it might work loose sometime in use and PLL get blamed. You could drop an email to PLL, do let us know the reply if you do.

Going back to the 61 mm app at 2 kg  weight thats less than I've attached to the top of my Eagle Core in the past with no issues.  In the printed manual page 80 when talking about fitting a guide scope on top of the Eagle Core using a pair of rings it states, "...the guide telescope should not exceed 3 kg in weight to avoid flexures." I'm not at my main pc listing all the measured weights of my PLL accessories. But I will post them ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

2 hours ago, kunene said:

Do you know if that screw on top is removable? 

Thanks 

I have never tried to remove the 1/4" screw but would think it was not meant to come out since that could mean it might work loose sometime in use and PLL get blamed. You could drop an email to PLL, do let us know the reply if you do.

Going back to the 61 mm app at 2 kg  weight thats less than I've attached to the top of my Eagle Core in the past with no issues.  In the printed manual page 80 when talking about fitting a guide scope on top of the Eagle Core using a pair of rings it states, "...the guide telescope should not exceed 3 kg in weight to avoid flexures." I'm not at my main pc listing all the measured weights of my PLL accessories. But I will post them ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. The clamp weighs 314g and the PL 140 mm dovetail bar 185g.

3 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. The clamp weighs 314g and the PL 140 mm dovetail bar 185g.

Thanks Steve.

But I am assuming that if you are to mount a telescope  on top, the screw might   be a kind of obstacle as it may protrude towards the OTA. 

On 28/11/2020 at 15:29, SteveNickolls said:

Hi kunene, if you are going to add a PLL dovetail clamp on top of the Eagle Core to take a dovetail on the OTA it has a pre-drilled hole to accommodate the protruding 1/4" screw so it doesn't hit the OTA. 😀

Cheers,
Steve

20201128_141425.thumb.jpg.925114b3e2fadd84893c09af7f4a971b.jpg

20201128_141501.thumb.jpg.88ca8b453d9fd8775746b05848e4ec6c.jpg

Thanks for the information. 

• Like 1

Although slightly off subject I see that PLL have released news of a v4 of their Eagle product range. The Eagle Core remains in the stable of available devices though which is good news for future firmware support and feature enhancement.

More from here at PLL-https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/computer-and-software/eagle4-advanced-control-unit-for-telescopes-and-astrophotography.html

The site mentions December 9th as the date of availability although our sponsor FLO have the series for order-here's the link to the Eagle 4S model buy I think if they are showing the 8GB-Eagle4-S model at the price of the plain Eagle 4.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/eagle4-advanced-control-unit-for-telescopes-and-astrophotography.html

the model is currently out of stock with a 10-15 working day timescale for availability.

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls

• 1 month later...

Hi, some miscellaneous PLL items to make more widely known to owners of the Eagle Core.

Status update. The Eagle Core updates currently remains at v2.10.

The Astro Imaging Chanel on YouTube will be having Thomas Branwell the North  American Director of Operations for PrimaLuce Labs live on the 15th February 2021. Interesting to see any coverage on the Eagle Core, and developments or on accessories and the recent Eagle4 product range of control devices.

I've also come across this podcast on Thomas' journey into amateur astronomy and his move from Apple to PLL. Interesting background.

https://anchor.fm/spacejunk/episodes/Primaluces-Tom-Bramwell-The-Astronomer-Next-Door-enpp8t

Hope everyone has been able to use their Eagle Core devices? Any images or user feedback for tbe tbread would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Steve