Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D design software

CedricTheBrave

I'm getting my head around FreeCAD, which is actually quite a complex system in that it allows you to do all sorts of 3D design work including architectural designs and suchlike, but it has a component that allows the creation of objects by adding and subtracting various solid shapes from each other which is probably the easiest way to start.  For more complex designs it also has a component that allows constraints to be incorporated so that, say, certain edges always form a specific angle and so on.  I imagine it's actually fairly similar to many other 3D design packages.

James

• Like 1

I've signed up to educational Autocad Fusion 360. Unfortunately it's neither simple nor easy! But there are lots of helpful videos... I haven't had time to properly delve into it yet.  I don't know if there's anything simple and easy for useful cad for 3d printers? Maybe something here: https://3dprinting.com/software/

Louise

• Like 1

Fusion 360 is definitely, hands down, the most accessible CAD system out there which has real power. They're tweaking the features/licensing at present but it's still a very good option (and free).

FreeCAD and things like OpenSCAD can be great but have a very steep learning curve in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

Fusion 360 is definitely, hands down, the most accessible CAD system out there which has real power. They're tweaking the features/licensing at present but it's still a very good option (and free).

FreeCAD and things like OpenSCAD can be great but have a very steep learning curve in my opinion.

I signed up for the free educational version. It asked for the name of the institute and when I expected to graduate but didn't require any verification. I said in 3yrs but wish I'd said in 4! I'm not sure if there's any difference between educational and the free personal versions. I might be using it in anger soon so that will give me a better feel for it. It would be useful to be able to design and make odds and ends and things like T2 or M48 Extension tubes of custom length. Maybe also a diy motor focuser bracket and other scope fittings :) I'm getting used to the patience (time) required to actually print things :)

Louise

I would recommend Fusion 360 as well. I have recently started using it as i am doing a huge renovation job on a property i just bought and although i am not doing 3D printing(there are great addons for that) it was still great when it came to designing 3D models and creating production drawings of stonework that i wanted made by the masons and used it to model 3 fireplaces (jambs, lintels, mantles, and ashlars) as well as 3 chimneys that i am having rebuilt in sandstone instead of the ugly red brick that is currently there. I actually found it quite intuitive to use and and could knock up a 3D model of all the individual blocks and the output to a scale drawing in about 1.5-2 hours per project. I did try out freecad first but found it not only more difficult to use but also limited in some of the functions when working with different file formats and i found that it crashed quite often when percfrming certain tasks. I am not sure if there is any difference in the actual program with the license you get but i just signed up for the free personal/hobbyist one and it seems like it is not limited in features. If you go to the addon site you can download and install  a lot of different modules for making gears etc for free and there are also a lot of other paid addons but for general hobbyist work i think you would not need them.

• Like 2

I think I might get this Fusion 360 book (geared towards making 3d printed things) off Amazon. I always like to have printed words as a guide and I find that makes it easier to get an overview and orientation. Do take note that the software is cloud based so you need a high speed internet connection. Also need a decent PC preferably with a dedicated graphics card, I think :) Here are system requirements.

Louise

3 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I think I might get this Fusion 360 book (geared towards making 3d printed things) off Amazon. I always like to have printed words as a guide and I find that makes it easier to get an overview and orientation. Do take note that the software is cloud based so you need a high speed internet connection. Also need a decent PC preferably with a dedicated graphics card, I think :) Here are system requirements.

Louise

Good idea I will have a look at that.