SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Don't ask me, I ain't got a clue.

Gimboid

Hello all...  pvt newbie reporting in from Cardiff, South Wales.

As the title suggests.. I know nothing but hopefully that will change in the future..  I do have a telescope that I bought approx 1 year ago but I haven't really used it properly.. so far it's been a few times in the garden but soon after setting up it's omg it's cold and i'm going back indoors 😛 Although it was never properly pursued I have always had an interest in photography, have been curious about astronomy for a long time and now after spending some time online looking and trying to learn I am very much interested in the idea of astrophotography so... here I am.. My first question has already been posted.. I'm sure there will be many more lol 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gimboid said:

so far it's been a few times in the garden but soon after setting up it's omg it's cold and i'm going back indoors

Welcome!

That's perfectly normal behavior for a stargazer. Armchair astronomy is a recognised and well documented activity! :) 

Thank you all for the welcome 🙂 

6 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Welcome! To get the most out of the hobby I recommend a big coat, woolly hat, fingerless gloves and thick socks. Trousers also helpful of course.

Damn it... I got this thought in my head now.. can imagine a neighbour peaking out their upstairs window and wondering what they would thinking... big fat hairy guy next door walking around their garden with more layers on than you can shake a stick at but missing his pants lol 

2 hours ago, Helen said:

Hi @Gimboid and welcome to SGL 🙂   

Which part of Cardiff do you live in?  (I'm a few miles north of you in the Rhymney Valley)

Helen

Hi Helen.. North Cardiff.. currently in Llandaff North where I have been renting for 18 years but going through a good but complicated patch in life all of which is part of a master plan to get back on the property ladder so will soon be moving to Tongwynlais and bunking in with family and all being well in the not too distant future will be moving up along a bit further.. possibly a brief stop in Caerphilly (still with family) and then ultimately buying something in either Rhondda or Rhymney valley somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gimboid said:

Thank you all for the welcome 🙂 

Damn it... I got this thought in my head now.. can imagine a neighbour peaking out their upstairs window and wondering what they would thinking... big fat hairy guy next door walking around their garden with more layers on than you can shake a stick at but missing his pants lol 

Hi Helen.. North Cardiff.. currently in Llandaff North where I have been renting for 18 years but going through a good but complicated patch in life all of which is part of a master plan to get back on the property ladder so will soon be moving to Tongwynlais and bunking in with family and all being well in the not too distant future will be moving up along a bit further.. possibly a brief stop in Caerphilly (still with family) and then ultimately buying something in either Rhondda or Rhymney valley somewhere. 

Good luck with the grand plan 😉   Being out of Cardiff may make observing a bit easier 🙂

Helen

Welcome Gimboid. :thumbsup:

Get yourself an old, down/duvet jacket, salopettes [insulated skiing trousers] and fur lined boots.
These are the perfect accessories to a thick, fleece, cap with ear flaps and a "foreign legion" neck warmer.
And that's only in summer! :wink2:

Sensible amateur astronomers, from chilly Cardiff, look around for their observing attire in charity shops because nobody can see you in the dark! :smile:
People go on one skiing trip, break a leg and decide to give away all their lovely, warm skiing clothes, before they break the other one.  :wink2:

• Like 1

Welcome to the SGL phenomena. You are in a good place now, and if it's encouragement you need, you will get lots of it here . Cold weather is a deterrent to the observer, but as stated, it can be bearable with the proper clothing. I don't see the type of telescope you own, is it a reflector, or refractor? What interests you most in the night sky. Your type of instrument will be suitable for many targets, but it can depend on type and size of objective.   However, Hope you settle in here, and improve your knowledge. It's a great source of help and knowledge at your disposal here. Enjoy your stay.

Ron.

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

Where I am, have fairly clear unlight polluted skies, and middle of winter vary rarely drops below 10 deg C

I am out also a couple times per month, doing Space Badge for Joeys and cubs, scouting movement

Very rewarding working with our youth of today

Happy Viewing

John 

More welcomes so more thanks 🙂 

With regards to the brrr it's cold im off back in... I don't usually fair too bad in the cold but I have in the past suffered with chest/breathing trouble as a result of neglect while working in dust and with paint and the cold, although it's no where near as bad now used to effect my breathing a lot.... that would be the main reason for going back in when it's cold. If the body gets cold.. well that's what star jumps and jogging on the spot is for 😛  I actually do have some toasty gear.. have a nice set of winter textiles for when i'm brave and I want to take my motorcycle out in the winter and theres always a pair of wooley gloves and beanie on hand.

8 hours ago, Helen said:

Good luck with the grand plan 😉   Being out of Cardiff may make observing a bit easier 🙂

Helen

Thank you.. looking forward to moving and had considered it won't be so far to get to some darker spots, also the further up I go the closer to the nice twisty country roads I get and as a motorcyclist I can't wait for that either.

6 hours ago, barkis said:

Welcome to the SGL phenomena. You are in a good place now, and if it's encouragement you need, you will get lots of it here . Cold weather is a deterrent to the observer, but as stated, it can be bearable with the proper clothing. I don't see the type of telescope you own, is it a reflector, or refractor? What interests you most in the night sky. Your type of instrument will be suitable for many targets, but it can depend on type and size of objective.   However, Hope you settle in here, and improve your knowledge. It's a great source of help and knowledge at your disposal here. Enjoy your stay.

Ron.

Hi Ron..  currently I have a skywatcher 150pl and eq3-2 mount...  however, after doing some more research and chatting on these here forums I may well look to change it..  Just not sure what to buy or change first as i'm on a budget. Current thinking is.. I want to get into astrophotography with the telescope and without so thinking about getting just a dslr for now to hopefully get some nice wide shots of the night sky and then a little further down the line either change to a more appropriate scope or simple buy another that is better suited for use with a camera and also keep the current one should it warrant having the two.

The 150pl  is a fine instrument. At f8 you will get some excellent results on some deep sky visuals.
Globular clusters such as M13  will resolve well. The Moon in it's different phases must give you a buzz in the eyepiece.
The scope is designed to render good results from many extended objects. Planets especially the large gas giants, Mars too are good targets.
You should persevere with scope, and get the best out of it  these coming winter skies, there is much to go for.

Astro. Photography Is always a desirable progression for many amateur Astronomer. I'm sill plodding my way through
my own ambitions in that area.   It can be done without spending too much money, if you trawl   the
used Astro. gear  markets.  A decent f5 reflector or a Refractor can be found at a fair price.
The most important requirement will be  a good quality equatorial mount, Preferably one that can support a
larger telescope, as the liklihood is, you would acquire aperture fever, and seek a larger scope later on.
Do lots of research before you commit your money, and seek advice here on SGL too, there will be 
many options available, and the guys here will guide you on the best way forward.
Best Wishes .
Ron.

Edited by barkis