SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1.6 day old moon

Stu

I've just watched the 1.6 day old Moon slide behind the rocky mountain ridge behind our hotel on Rhodes. Very lovely sight with the naked eye, but fortunately also have my TS 72mm with me so was able to watch it using my 7.2 to 21.5mm zoom. Not sure what power I ended up with but it was beautifully framed. A little crater detail was showing up, and I was amazed just how fast it set behind the ridge, obviously moving which I wasn't expecting.

I managed to share it with my 5 year old, along with Jupiter and Saturn. Lovely stuff.

• Like 12

Well done that man! 

I've been thinking about this young Moon since yesterday. Unfortunately I decided the ecliptic is at just a bit too shallow an angle with the horizon from the UK. I would have had to drive up to the sea front to get a low enough horizon and I thought I'd be wasting my time anyway. 

Maybe I'd have had a chance after all?

11 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Well done that man! 

I've been thinking about this young Moon since yesterday. Unfortunately I decided the ecliptic is at just a bit too shallow an angle with the horizon from the UK. I would have had to drive up to the sea front to get a low enough horizon and I thought I'd be wasting my time anyway. 

Maybe I'd have had a chance after all?

Would have been worth a try I think, although at sunset for you the Moon would have been at 6.8 degrees vs 12.2 for me currently. It may be that the ridge here helped too as the sun sets behind there long before actual sunset.

• Like 2

Caught it again tonight, 2.7 days old now and much higher up. I checked what time the Sun went behind the ridge so I had a better idea of where to look for the Moon, and picked it up around 4.30pm.

It looked very nice in the scope and got better as the sky darkened. Later on the earth shine was showing very clearly with the naked eye. This is a quick snap with my S9, just tweaked a little in PS Express. There was a lovely bead of light separated from the main terminator which was great in the scope.

Just before 6pm the new Moon, Jupiter and Saturn were strung out very clearly in a line. Lovely sight.

PSX_20191030_180109.jpg

• Like 7