Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

petevasey

New focuser for Meade 127

Some of you may recall I put my Meade Series 5000 127 refractor up for sale a few weeks ago.  On impulse I'd bought a current model of similar size at a good price, mainly because after damaging the Meade focuser some years ago although I managed to partly repair it, it was always marginal with my heavy camera.  But unfortunately the replacement turned out to have misaligned optics, and I returned it.  And decided to bite the bullet and replace the focuser - something I'd toyed with after the original damage, but was put off by the need for a substantial adapter to fit a new focuser to the OTA.

I had in my bits and pieces bin an aluminium disc which was just large enough to make into an adapter for the focuser I'd set my sights on - this one.  Before ordering the focuser , with heart in mouth I set to with my lathe to make the OTA thread - 130M 1 mm pitch female.  (That's nominal 130 mm diameter, metric thread).  If I was successful with that, then I would order the focuser.  And that is what happened.

The focuser arrived only four days after ordering - well done Teleskop Service!  I then of course with heart even further in my mouth had to make a 90M male thread to mate with the focuser - I didn't want to do that until I had the mating part on hand to check the fit.  Fortunately that went even better than the female thread, so all fitted together nicely.  Photos below.  The new focuser is of course in the bottom picture.  I had already bought a 30mm finder  which is shown in the pic.  I didn't have a bracket for the original Meade finder - its bracket is specific to the Meade focuser.  But I think I've located one.  I might then use that on my 10" RC.  With the new focuser the scope is a pleasure to use, and a 'keeper'.  Well worth the effort!

The Meade 127 is generally well liked with good optics, so if anyone else has one and their focuser is a bit the worse for wear (they are a simple Crayford design bearing onto anodised aluminium) I can recommend replacing the focuser.  The only sticking point is the adapter.  If you don't have access to a machine shop, TS will make one.

Cheers,

Peter

Adapter.jpg

Old focuser.jpg

New focuser.jpg

Edited by petevasey

I bought one of these focusers last week. Not bad at all for the price. Brass knobs fitted to match the scope and the chrome fine ficus knob replaced with a black one.

307F4494-F689-4B86-AB44-4AC36D8B473F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Nice job, John.

Did your scope already have the correct M90 thread at the back?  And did you make the knobs yourself?  The edge milling looks excellent!

Cheers,

Peter

Used a now discontinued Baader adapter to connect to the OTA. pity they’ve stopped making it as it comes in very handy for a number of scopes. Was intending to fit this focuser to a Cassegrain scope  but the drawtube was a bit too long so this ended up on Big Red and the Badder Steeltrack originaly fitted is now on the Cassegrain.

Knobs are standard stuff bought from Amazon and eBay. Brass thunbscrews are getting harder to find now though. Just had to add nylon tips to the two large screws though. 

I built Big Red a few years ago using Carton optics.

3DBBF208-10AA-45D4-8E15-135EB0A72073.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

'Big Red' looks very smart and  l  o  n  g, John.  What's the specifications?

Cheers,

Peter

It’S a 100mm f/13 using Japanese Carton optics. Gives better planetary views than a FPL53 100mm triplet APO. The optics were made in the days when good achromats were finished to the highest standards. Nowadays you only see cheap achros and the manufactures don’t spend the time or money on them.

• Like 1

I use the same Carton 100 f13 objective on the digital spectroheliograph. Impressive performer.