SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular Advice

SyedT

Hi all,

I'm currently into imaging, but looking to get a pair of binos both for observing from home and taking on trips where I can access dark sites. I live in a Bortle 5 zone. 

I've done a lot of reading about the different factors involved in choosing binos. For me, the main factors would be performance under light polluted skies, ability to resolve some of the larger star clusters etc, and a degree of portability (they have to be small enough to fit into a carry on backpack on flights). I've been into astronomy long enough to know that there's never a perfect solution and that one avenue always takes a hit, which is why I've come to SGL for some wisdom!

I initially looked at 25x100 binos, which clearly are way too large, then jumped to the other end (10x50s), which may not provide adequate viewing. Currently feeling a bit stuck, so would appreciate any advice before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Anything bigger than 10x50s are going to need to be tripod mounted to get the best out of them... I have quite comfortably held 11x70s for short periods but if you go up to x15 the image is just too wobbly.  

I use my Olympus DPSI 10X 50 all the time and under dark skies they really do hold up well against their competitors. They are great for the bigger star clusters and Bright DSOs - I often use them for the smaller much fainter clusters too - no detail of course but still nice to be able to pick them out.  Under terrible LP skies obviously things become a bit hit and miss and more aperture will be needed...

I think the answer will depend on whether you are going to mount them or not.  If you are, your options obviously go through the roof and the choice will be huge.  If not it will depend on the quality you want and the budget of course...

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that anything over 10x50 would need a tripod, and by the sound of it that would be a bit too much baggage for your requirements. You could get away with a 15x70 mounted on a monopod, the extra magnification and aperture will certainly open up star clusters, but it's bulky and heavy, and wouldn't so much slip in your bag as fill it. If you don't want to spend a lot (say under £200) then 10x50 is your best bet as it will show you a fair amount and will be very easy to carry around. If you are happy to spend perhaps a few hundred more then you might want to consider 10x42's instead as they are obviously smaller and lighter, but the higher quality optics will be clearer yet show you just as much. This is because better optics generally result in true aperture - they genuinely mean that they give you 42mm of light gathering, whereas budget 10x50's are not actually 50mm but are closer to 40. Either way if you don't go down the image stabilising route a monopod would be a good investment as well to steady the view, you'll see a lot more than way.

• Thanks 1

Hi Syed,

I agree that 10x50s are a great all rounder -but so are 7x50s, especially if you are under 50 or so and your eyes can fully use the 7mm exit pupil they deliver.

I have both and they give different views, both great, but for "away from home" use in hopefully good skies the 7x50s would be my first choice. You will get a wider field of view and see just as deep as with the 10x50s.

At the moment FLO have this cracking deal on a really nice  7x50 unit - half price! 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-7x50-binoculars.html

HTH👍

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SyedT said:

I think I'll end up going for a pair of 10x50s for travel use, and then maybe think about mounted 25x100s for backyard viewing. Once again, thank you all for the advice.

Good choice..do let us know what you buy in the end - with pictures please!👍

Dave

Last-minute overthinking got the better of me, and I ended up buying Nikon Action 12x50 EXs as Amazon had knocked about £70 off an open-box product. Seem to have good all-round reviews, are nitrogen-purged with aspherical lenses to minimise distortion. Will post some images of the bins once I've received them. You never know, they might just be enough to satisfy both backyard and travel viewing, so may never end up buying 25x100s!

• Like 3

Sounds like you picked well, good mix of portability and magnification. I have some Celestron 12x70 Cometrons and they are excellent, especially for the price. Very good light gathering ability and a joy to look through. I have a tripod mount for them but I've never needed it, quite easy to hold for long periods. I also have 25x100s but use the 12x70s much more. 12x seems about max for me for continuous handheld, maybe I'll try 15x someday but don't think there's much in it. I sometimes use my 25x100s for quick handheld  observations, e.g. Andromeda or M42 handheld, but they are quite a bit better on a tripod! If I lay on the ground and look up, I can manage a fair bit longer with the 25x100s. But the 12x binos are super portable and definitely 'hand-holdable' in my book. Good call.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool on the pick up up of the nikon action 12x50's 

They are my most used set  (next to my helis apollo 22x85 bins) of bins and are rally good during the day and at night under the stars but they will benefit from being mounted on tripod/monopod amazing the diferance with no hand shake when being used

Enjoy em mate 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1