SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help - Beginner astrophotography camera under $600?

Ivar

I've been doing visual observations for a few years now with an AZ mount. I'm planning on getting more serious about it and want to try astrophotography. Specifically DSO's. 

I have decided on getting the HEQ5 SynScan and the Explorer 150PDS. Most of the accessories are already on the table. A light pollution filter, comma-corrector and the software. I'm also planning on doing autoguiding later on after I've figured out the basics.

Also, I'm 17 so I'm trying to keep it within my budget, but the camera is the only thing I haven't figured out. 

Does someone know of any good astrophotography cameras under $600? I may be able to stretch my budget, but I'll try to keep it under 600 if possible. 

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

An easier starting\learning\cheaper camera setup, would be to use a DSLR that has 'bulb' capability (for long exposure). These can be picked up reasonably cheaply on here, eBay etc.... or from Juan at Cheap Astrophotography (https://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html)

It does not have to be Astro modified, but you getter a better red response if it is. 

I'm currently using 2 modded Canons', a 600D & 1100D, both with 'standard' lenses, but I can also fit them to telescopes as needed.

On 28/10/2019 at 19:04, Ivar said:

I've been doing visual observations for a few years now with an AZ mount. I'm planning on getting more serious about it and want to try astrophotography. Specifically DSO's. 

I have decided on getting the HEQ5 SynScan and the Explorer 150PDS. Most of the accessories are already on the table. A light pollution filter, comma-corrector and the software. I'm also planning on doing autoguiding later on after I've figured out the basics.

Also, I'm 17 so I'm trying to keep it within my budget, but the camera is the only thing I haven't figured out. 

Does someone know of any good astrophotography cameras under $600? I may be able to stretch my budget, but I'll try to keep it under 600 if possible. 

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

This is in your price range, color or mono, the mono is more expensive but worth every extra penny / cent.

https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-Hypercam-183C-PRO-Colour-Camera-Fan-cooled-4GB.html

Or you could just go with a DSLR as above but make sure you get a IR modified one if you do that. 

Adam