Narrowband

Images from Epsilon 180ed and QHY9 mono

tooth_dr

I had a more successful night with the Epsilon after repeated crashes. I’ve these narrowed now to the EFW, so until I get it sorted it’s luminance only for now. 

This is 2.5 hours in 300s subs, with 10 x 10s for the core.

CS

Adam 

2CE8AC99-5EC0-459C-9C9C-EBB44BE70D21.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 29

19 minutes ago, rubecula said:

It might be "luminance only" but that's a lovely image.  Did you take darks, flats and bias frames for the 10s exposures or just the 300s?

Thanks Robin. Yes I used flats, darks and bias for the 300s, matching light temp -20, no calibration for the short subs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

Wow, so much dust, I love it. 

Emil

Thanks Emil 👍🏻👍🏻. Looks like a new Atik EFW3 is on the cards as the Brightstar EFW crashed again this evening in a different sequencing programme.

27 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Seems like a good choice to change scopes Adam..

Regarding the efw, I know someone selling a 3 efw with 2 inch carousel 

That’s what I’m after. Can you send me details please 👍🏼

28 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Seems like a good choice to change scopes Adam..

Regarding the efw, I know someone selling a 3 efw with 2 inch carousel 

Thanks 😎 I’m surprised how much signal this picks up in a short time.  It looks like the ideal scope for mosaics. 

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Wow, looks like going to the Epsilon was the right move, the M42 has so much detail it boggles the mind, especially for such a short integration. Loads of detail in M31 too!

Thanks Dave, that M42 just seems to work.  I only spent 10 mins processing it, just to see what it looked like, and in this case less is more.

Stephan's Quintet and the Deer Lick Group.

This is from last night.  It consists of 20 x 5 mins subs, luminance filter.  Tried new cables and without USB hub, and still the EFW stops responding.  For the bin by the looks of it.

Stephans-Quintet-Deer-Lick.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DaveS said:

That Tak Epsilon really is something else, isn't it. Frustrating when kit doesn't work as it should, don't suppose the FW is under guarantee.

If I can tame the stars I'm onto a winner Dave :D

The EFW isnt under warranty, I'll post it up here for free once I get a new one.  It might work ok on another PC, but for AP, the cost of buying a new wheel far outweighs the frustrations of lost captures.

HI Adam, I have always loved the images from the epsilon 180,but many say that they operate at their best with a DSLR, but you seem to prove that it works with anything. Have you tried it with your 383 yet?

How have you found the collimation?

5 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

HI Adam, I have always loved the images from the epsilon 180,but many say that they operate at their best with a DSLR, but you seem to prove that it works with anything. Have you tried it with your 383 yet?

How have you found the collimation?

Thanks John.  I have a full frame Nikon D800E and the Tak wide t adapter sitting here to go on it, but I cant drag myself away from the cooled CCD.  Perhaps I should give it a go.  Your 383 is currently attached to the Atik EFW2, which has 1.25" filters in it so I'm not going to strip that down yet.  I'm going to have to sell off some gear in the very near future, so am just deciding where to go.   I bought the scope collimated by Orion in England, and drove it home carefully.  I have the Tak collimating EP as well, but I havent even looked through it yet.  I plan to have a look at it over the next few days as I dont think everything is quite 100%.  It could be spacing as these scopes are critical to the 1mm.  Or it could be focus.  Or tilt in the CCD.  Or me!!!

I'll definitiely keep this thread updated as I go along.

10 hours ago, MartinB said:

You just can't beat a fast, well engineered scope!  It still needs to be wielded effectively though and it seems you are doing just that.

Thanks Martin - I dont feel that confident yet.