Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Good, so you should be able to fit this scope in your car and go away from city lights (which I highly recommend).

To be honest, the difference between these 2 scopes is marginal at best so accessories might define what makes the cut.

The SW comes with a 9x50 straigh finder which is perfectly usable but you might want to upgrade to a RACI (corrected, with a 90° diagonal) for comfort, a 25mm Plossl eyepiece which should do a decent job for wide field/low mag and a 10mm Plossl which has short eye relief and is not very comfortable to use.

The Orion comes with a red dot finder which is and will remain useful ... you will probably want a RACI finder on top of some kind of red dot (like rigel quickfinder or Telrad). It also comes with a red light, again useful and a decent barlow (you might be ok with this one for quite some time).

If I were you I would go for the Orion based on the fact that accessories will be useful for a longer time but keep in mind that you will have to buy eyepieces straight away (ie. you will not be able to use the scope as it comes). The SW come ready to use but you will want to upgrade, at least the eyepieces quite quickly.

Hello! Thank you very much! I won't need to buy more eyepieces, 'cause my old newtonian Skywatcher scope has a 25mm Super plossl eyepiece and a 10mm super plossl, plus a 2x multicoated barlow lens! Again, thanks a bunch!

Clear Skies,

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob Sellent said:

I don't want to sound like a preacher but......:tongue2: if this monthly payment comes as a third party loan more often than not it will accrue interest charges, so effectively the scope will cost more than it would in the first place. Personally, I just don't think it's worth it. Usury is not a game I'd like to play - on either end of the table.

Instead, having a budget and sticking to it, saving bit by bit means that you won't be paying interest, won't be stealing time and labour from your tomorrow, won't get stressed with debt payments or bad credit records and give yourself plenty of time to research. The only time I think debt is possibly a good idea is when there's an investment going on. Such as getting into debt to buy property, or one's education. But a telescope is rarely an investment and as you have already stated, this will be your third scope in a year, so you'll likely be making loss upon loss.

My advice is try to find a club which has open nights, imagers and the such. Check out the gear, ask about costs and weight. I may be mistaken but I don't think you're going to find a portable, imaging/visual telescope, mount, imaging gear and the such for under $500. I may be wrong but....

There's no need to rush, as you already know, the stars and DSOs aren't going anywhere, the decent planets for visual and imaging (Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) won't be back until way into 2020 which gives you time to save, time to move, and time to inform yourself.

Apologies if this sounded a bit preachy :thumbright:

Hello! there's no need to apologize! after all, you're just trying to help, and I really appreciate it! But I've already sold my 1 scope already, so it's not much of an issue for me! But thank you for your suggestion!

Clear Skies,

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Interstellar_Explorer said:

Hello! Thank you very much! I won't need to buy more eyepieces, 'cause my old newtonian Skywatcher scope has a 25mm Super plossl eyepiece and a 10mm super plossl, plus a 2x multicoated barlow lens! Again, thanks a bunch!

Clear Skies,

Jason

What is your old scope? Have you never been tempted to upgrade the eyepieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joe aguiar said:

1500 is the heq5 mount only and that's before taxes. iam not even talking about scope and all the other stuff for imaging.

in my other suggestion I added since u said apt maybe the avx or lxd85 is best bet BUT even these 2 mounts is 1250 with taxes new. U sometimes find the avx used for sale on Canada astro buy and sell for $799 but this is probally the min mount u want for imaging. iam not sure a reglar eq5 will do for imaging unless you try a used lxd75 or used asgt but iam 100% sure how these are for imaging.

these being close to 10 to 15 years old  you can find these cheap sometimes on the used market. I found a used working Meade LXD75 mount tripod and weight of course with goto for $300 cash on astro buy and sell but u don't see them come up too often since they are older and not too many left out there working.

I don't want to put anyone down but if you are planning on doing visual and imaging here in Canada even the skywatcher 80mm evostar apo is $1100 BEFORE taxes I don't think even the ota falls in your budjet tho. The only way it can work if if u find the old gold SW pro which is same scope just older like 10 to 12 years old. that one used probally be $500 to $600 used. then a used mount after that.

I think your gonna have to do it 1 thing at a time 

1-80mm apo

then mount

 then if you want visal 8" sct or 6 or 8" reflector

then the imaging gear I cant see doing everything, even 500 UK is about $800 cdn which helpes

if you only do visual you can get a 6'f/5 reflector on eq3 for $475 or so and up if its new

joejaguar

OK thank you very much!

Clear Skies,

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raph-in-the-sky said:

What is your old scope? Have you never been tempted to upgrade the eyepieces?

My old(er scope, actually not even that old) is the Skywatcher Astrolux AZ-1, and it is a really good telescope! And no, I was never tempted to change or even buy new eyepieces, I really liked them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joe aguiar said:

Jason if you are moving to Canada there's no point looking at the American market or prices. we Canadians pay least 30% on top of these us prices. and if you oder from there thers always customs duties and breakage fees on top the 30%. So there are store in Canada to look.

also these scopes are ok good size but are all manual meaning u push and pull them. there are NO slow motion controls u CANT do imaging either. if visual is what you want then its ok. me personally I would get a 6" reflector on eq4 typr over 8" dob but that's me.

joejaguar

OK then, do you know of any canadian marketplace to buy telescopes from? Thanks a bunch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Interstellar_Explorer said:

My old(er scope, actually not even that old) is the Skywatcher Astrolux AZ-1, and it is a really good telescope! And no, I was never tempted to change or even buy new eyepieces, I really liked them!

Is that the 3'' reflector? If so, you will be blown away by the views a 8'' scope gives!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

When he said he had a budget of 500$ I assumed 500 USD... Canadians really should use CAD, if you us $ it will be very confusing for all of us

Oh yeah my apologies I forgot to put that detail in!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Is that the 3'' reflector? If so, you will be blown away by the views a 8'' scope gives!

Even now with my little 3" reflector i'm blown away with the views that it gives me! Just imagine an 8"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joe aguiar said:

when are you moving to Toronto? since I live here I can help when u get here and look on the used market for u?

joejaguar

 

In a couple of days i'll be there! And thank you very much! That's very kind of you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so I think it may be better to re start this doesn't mean do a whole new thread tho.

I now see the original topic has been edited to include something about a monthy payment which I wondered where that came from since iam not now going to topic but just replying.

also since now we have much more info to what he  is looking for. At the start we didn't have much besides 500 and visual and imaging.

now we kinda know hes been in hobby about a year his scope was a 3" on AZ1 mount.

some of us said 80mmed I think cause he said he was not new and he wanted imaging, now we kinda know SW 80mmed  scope is too much since its $1300 cdn then we talked about few mounts cause again we heard imaging. Again I think we need to scrap that idea

my opnion is visual for now and going from a basic starter to a serious start of the intermediate level.

the 5 inch reflector is a very good serious start scope and the 6 inch is an intermediate level so if you can get to this level better for you. I don't think going any bigger will help since he said he will live in an apt. the 8" will be too big.

so on the mount I think a eq3-2 or cg4 is big enough with the 6" reflector this will be pretty heavy enough if you have to carry everything downstairs. Even if you have a south facing balacony you will still  have a limited sky to obsever from.

I know from this setup can be the limit for most people doing it in one shot as most of us cant leave our stuff outside alone.

anyway this is my suggestion forget imaging get a 6" reflector eq3-2 or cg4 is 100x times better and bigger then u had. Don't look at it as only going 3 inch onlu up as that's only diameter by circumference that's a BIG difference. You will also see this setup is a lot bigger then the 3" on az1 mount which is a light scope.

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

so I think it may be better to re start this doesn't mean do a whole new thread tho.

I now see the original topic has been edited to include something about a monthy payment which I wondered where that came from since iam not now going to topic but just replying.

also since now we have much more info to what he  is looking for. At the start we didn't have much besides 500 and visual and imaging.

now we kinda know hes been in hobby about a year his scope was a 3" on AZ1 mount.

some of us said 80mmed I think cause he said he was not new and he wanted imaging, now we kinda know SW 80mmed  scope is too much since its $1300 cdn then we talked about few mounts cause again we heard imaging. Again I think we need to scrap that idea

my opnion is visual for now and going from a basic starter to a serious start of the intermediate level.

the 5 inch reflector is a very good serious start scope and the 6 inch is an intermediate level so if you can get to this level better for you. I don't think going any bigger will help since he said he will live in an apt. the 8" will be too big.

so on the mount I think a eq3-2 or cg4 is big enough with the 6" reflector this will be pretty heavy enough if you have to carry everything downstairs. Even if you have a south facing balacony you will still  have a limited sky to obsever from.

I know from this setup can be the limit for most people doing it in one shot as most of us cant leave our stuff outside alone.

anyway this is my suggestion forget imaging get a 6" reflector eq3-2 or cg4 is 100x times better and bigger then u had. Don't look at it as only going 3 inch onlu up as that's only diameter by circumference that's a BIG difference.

joejaguar

Since the mount is not for imaging why not go for a dob?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Since the mount is not for imaging why not go for a dob?

he said hes gonna live in an apt so I don't think will work if u have  balcony it wont even go highter then the 4 ft wall condos and apt have to have. and the dob cause the base is not light its kinda bulky unless you are talking about the 6" size.

for me have a eq mount is still better its much smaller then a dob base once u polar align u only have to use 1 slow manual motion control and not 2. later u can add a drive to it. And I know at high powerspushing pulling a dob is not easy when the object leaves your view in 20 to 30 seconds. then trying to knudge it as that powers its very easy to over knudge it and u must start all over again by putting low power ep then med then high.

most of the mass produced dobs are not as smooth as the expensive ones. The Teflon has friction so the tube doesn't slip which is good but its not accurate enough to move one millimeter at a time.

last 6  ich or 8" dob is 48" inch from the ground almost every adult will be bending down already, then put mid way up and you wil be on your knees. Some of you will say put it on a rock steady table BUT remember he has to carry everything how can someone do that?

the eq3-2 is semi portable and a 6 inch reflector again is light and 1/3 the length of the dob version at f/8

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

so I think it may be better to re start this doesn't mean do a whole new thread tho.

I now see the original topic has been edited to include something about a monthy payment which I wondered where that came from since iam not now going to topic but just replying.

also since now we have much more info to what he  is looking for. At the start we didn't have much besides 500 and visual and imaging.

now we kinda know hes been in hobby about a year his scope was a 3" on AZ1 mount.

some of us said 80mmed I think cause he said he was not new and he wanted imaging, now we kinda know SW 80mmed  scope is too much since its $1300 cdn then we talked about few mounts cause again we heard imaging. Again I think we need to scrap that idea

my opnion is visual for now and going from a basic starter to a serious start of the intermediate level.

the 5 inch reflector is a very good serious start scope and the 6 inch is an intermediate level so if you can get to this level better for you. I don't think going any bigger will help since he said he will live in an apt. the 8" will be too big.

so on the mount I think a eq3-2 or cg4 is big enough with the 6" reflector this will be pretty heavy enough if you have to carry everything downstairs. Even if you have a south facing balacony you will still  have a limited sky to obsever from.

I know from this setup can be the limit for most people doing it in one shot as most of us cant leave our stuff outside alone.

anyway this is my suggestion forget imaging get a 6" reflector eq3-2 or cg4 is 100x times better and bigger then u had. Don't look at it as only going 3 inch onlu up as that's only diameter by circumference that's a BIG difference. You will also see this setup is a lot bigger then the 3" on az1 mount which is a light scope.

joejaguar

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

he said hes gonna live in an apt so I don't think will work if u have  balcony it wont even go highter then the 4 ft wall condos and apt have to have. and the dob cause the base is not light its kinda bulky unless you are talking about the 6" size.

for me have a eq mount is still better its much smaller then a dob base once u polar align u only have to use 1 slow manual motion control and not 2. later u can add a drive to it. And I know at high powerspushing pulling a dob is not easy when the object leaves your view in 20 to 30 seconds. then trying to knudge it as that powers its very easy to over knudge it and u must start all over again by putting low power ep then med then high.

most of the mass produced dobs are not as smooth as the expensive ones. The Teflon has friction so the tube doesn't slip which is good but its not accurate enough to move one millimeter at a time.

last 6  ich or 8" dob is 48" inch from the ground almost every adult will be bending down already, then put mid way up and you wil be on your knees. Some of you will say put it on a rock steady table BUT remember he has to carry everything how can someone do that?

the eq3-2 is semi portable and a 6 inch reflector again is light and 1/3 the length of the dob version at f/8

joejaguar

Thank you very much! And also a BIG thank you to everyone that spent their time to help me!

Clear Skies To You All!

-Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

he said hes gonna live in an apt so I don't think will work if u have  balcony it wont even go highter then the 4 ft wall condos and apt have to have. and the dob cause the base is not light its kinda bulky unless you are talking about the 6" size.

for me have a eq mount is still better its much smaller then a dob base once u polar align u only have to use 1 slow manual motion control and not 2. later u can add a drive to it. And I know at high powerspushing pulling a dob is not easy when the object leaves your view in 20 to 30 seconds. then trying to knudge it as that powers its very easy to over knudge it and u must start all over again by putting low power ep then med then high.

most of the mass produced dobs are not as smooth as the expensive ones. The Teflon has friction so the tube doesn't slip which is good but its not accurate enough to move one millimeter at a time.

last 6  ich or 8" dob is 48" inch from the ground almost every adult will be bending down already, then put mid way up and you wil be on your knees. Some of you will say put it on a rock steady table BUT remember he has to carry everything how can someone do that?

the eq3-2 is semi portable and a 6 inch reflector again is light and 1/3 the length of the dob version at f/8

joejaguar

Well even if it's 6'' dob would be cheaper. My understanding was that OP was going to move out of the city with his car but if he intends to use on his balcony, your point is valid regarding the wall.

Regarding the knidging it really isn't a problem. At the beginining it can be a bit frustrating to go back to a low mag EP but you get used to it quickly.

Regarding the bending a simple stool, costing 10Eur solve the issue.

Your last point regarding the carrying the scope is a real concern. I wouldn't want to move an 8'' dob over several flight of stares but if the OP has a lift it could work... depending on the size of the flat storage might also be an issue.

Conclusion: there's a lot of things to take into account and what works for one person will not work for everybody. (god I love my 10'' dob)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

Well even if it's 6'' dob would be cheaper. My understanding was that OP was going to move out of the city with his car but if he intends to use on his balcony, your point is valid regarding the wall.

Regarding the knidging it really isn't a problem. At the beginining it can be a bit frustrating to go back to a low mag EP but you get used to it quickly.

Regarding the bending a simple stool, costing 10Eur solve the issue.

Your last point regarding the carrying the scope is a real concern. I wouldn't want to move an 8'' dob over several flight of stares but if the OP has a lift it could work... depending on the size of the flat storage might also be an issue.

Conclusion: there's a lot of things to take into account and what works for one person will not work for everybody. (god I love my 10'' dob)

I will live on the 4th floor in the apartment, and I will be taking the scope to this one national park (I forgot what it was called) to solve the light pollution issue

And I also love 10" Dobs! The only problem is that I can't get one! (yet)

Edited by Interstellar_Explorer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Interstellar_Explorer said:

I will live on the 4th floor in the apartment, and I will be taking the scope to this one national park (I forgot what it was called) to solve the light pollution issue

And I also love 10" Dobs! The only problem is that I can't get one! (yet)

Go Dob Mob!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Interstellar_Explorer said:

OK then, do you know of any canadian marketplace to buy telescopes from? Thanks a bunch!

Canadian Astro Buy & Sell:

https://www.astrobuysell.com/propview.php

I use the UK version of this site all the time and it's excellent :icon_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is it Algonquin provincal park? if so its HUUUGE biggest one in provence. surface area is 7,653 km big

a lot people camp there as well school and scouts altho its rough nature meaning like back packing. Its also only available 6 months a year.

its a black zone or some call bortle zone1 but not so easy to get to.

my trailer is about 45 min drive south of there from the bottom tip, and it takes me 3 hrs to get to my place for probally 4.5 hrs from Toronto. Altho im in a grey zone which is only 1 zone less.\ and 3 hrs is more then enough to tavel if I juet go for a 2days.

joejaguar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finding a place nearby, even if not so great is a good idea. I have 2 different spots. One is 35min away from home and the other one is 1h away... sadly I live in Belgium where light pollution is everywhere and those sites are bortle 5 and 4 respectively.

I'm gonna try to go to Champagne in neighbouring France which is 3h away and has some bortle 2/3 spots ... I might have a drink or two while I'm there 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Algonquin park onLy has one proper road running through it. Or did last time I camped there. There are plenty of fairly civilised accessable places near the road though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 min depending where u live in city wont even get u out of the city. you will still be in the white zone . if your on the edge of the city u may get to red zone in 35 min but that's if you can get to a safe spot with no lights or cars zomming by, so u cant just go off the road.

the closest I used to do was a 90 min one way to a park called fork on the credit but iam pretty sure that's on the edge od red/orange so its not the big of a difference and again that's only open 6 months a year from spring to fall. so doing that in summer is not reall doable since it get dark only by 1030pm even if u stay till 1230 then pack u may get home at 230am and if you work like most people up at 6am its not doable unless its fri or sat night AND if its clear.

even the provences biggest star party (starfest) is the edge  a yellow altho very close to green which kinda sucks for our biggest star party. You would think it be in a ble zone or grey zone. That's y I stopped going after year 2000 wasn't worth the 2 hr drive.

joejaguar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.