Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

MKHACHFE

C19 Cocoon Nebula... What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating DSO

Hi guys, 

Basically, I have been hunting for it AGAIN tonight with my XT8 and various EPs. No luck. I can spot the Blue Snowball Nebula very easily and that is fainter.  I am using Stellarium to navigate with my RA finder and this technique usually works very well. And yet...

So my question is, from everyone's experience, is this puppy a harder target than others to spot? Would a UHC filter help?

Thanks for reading. 

Cheers

The Cocoon Neb is a tough one to observe. It needs really dark skies and it's actual surface magnitude is a lot fainter than the integrated magnitude figure that is quoted for it.

It is one of a relatively small group of nebulae that a H-Beta filter makes a positive impact on. A UHC will have a small improvement. Even with the help of these filters it is regarded as a challenge. Not quite as hard as seeing the Horsehead Nebula but getting towards that sort of challenge.

The Blue Snowball has a much brighter surface magnitude and much higher contrast.

I'm sure it is not your technique but the challenge of the target that it the cause of your frustration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John,

Thank you so much for your reply and info. Good to know. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Arcturus D said:

You will have to travel to very dark skies and probably use a filter

Thank you.