Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C19 Cocoon Nebula... What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating DSO

MKHACHFE

Hi guys, 

Basically, I have been hunting for it AGAIN tonight with my XT8 and various EPs. No luck. I can spot the Blue Snowball Nebula very easily and that is fainter.  I am using Stellarium to navigate with my RA finder and this technique usually works very well. And yet...

So my question is, from everyone's experience, is this puppy a harder target than others to spot? Would a UHC filter help?

Thanks for reading. 

Cheers

The Cocoon Neb is a tough one to observe. It needs really dark skies and it's actual surface magnitude is a lot fainter than the integrated magnitude figure that is quoted for it.

It is one of a relatively small group of nebulae that a H-Beta filter makes a positive impact on. A UHC will have a small improvement. Even with the help of these filters it is regarded as a challenge. Not quite as hard as seeing the Horsehead Nebula but getting towards that sort of challenge.

The Blue Snowball has a much brighter surface magnitude and much higher contrast.

I'm sure it is not your technique but the challenge of the target that it the cause of your frustration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/12/2019 at 14:37, MarkRadice said:

Gosh I always think of the Cocoon as a photographers target. I had nil success with a 20” dob at Olly Penrice’s place in south of France hunting for the cocoon - the Barnard dark Nebula alongside is wonderful though.  

This is tough but do able. My 15" shows it nicely and the 24" pulls out some inner structure with my Lumicon UHC under skies similar to La Granges. Were you looking in the right place using that dark lane (dark neb) as a guide?

A friend in Sweden can detect it in his C8 under dark skies. Keep at it, you will find and see this underwhelming (to me) object. Question- what eyepiece were you using and what f ratio is the scope?

Can’t remember without my notes to hand. I do remember following the dark dust lane (quite spectacular from memory) and finding an indistinct, faint glow of nothing - hence why I think it would be a challenge in a smaller instrument. 

• Like 1

On 25/12/2019 at 20:37, MarkRadice said:

Gosh I always think of the Cocoon as a photographers target. I had nil success with a 20” dob at Olly Penrice’s place in south of France hunting for the cocoon - the Barnard dark Nebula alongside is wonderful though.  

Yes, from everyone's replies, it seems like a hard one to glimpse. Can I ask where in the south of France you viewed the other nebula and if you used any filter?

Cheers

5 hours ago, MarkRadice said:

Can’t remember without my notes to hand. I do remember following the dark dust lane (quite spectacular from memory) and finding an indistinct, faint glow of nothing - hence why I think it would be a challenge in a smaller instrument. 

Considering I have the VAST glow from London lighting my horizon, ive accepted that I won't see it from my Bortle 5 (on good nights) garden. 

Cheers