Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

CentaurZ

Brightest Asteroid Vesta Opposes Sun 2019 NOV 12

The brightest asteroid 4 Vesta is the only one occasionally visible by naked eye. It will appear in opposition to the Sun on 2019 NOV 12 at the confluence of the constellations Cetus, Taurus and Aries. At magnitude +6.5 it might be detected by sharp eyes under dark skies.

Photos and descriptions of Vesta would be welcome additions to this thread.

Asteroid-B.JPG.d579eccc15096b19deebc12b37b9949c.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed Vesta was marked on Stellarium yesterday and it has just dawned on me that I have a couple of comets under my belt but not a single asteroid. Time for things to change, I will let you know how I get on.

Marvin

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, this will have to go on the observing list!!

• Like 1

Hayduke27, how is your weather? So bad here I can’t believe it. I get the feeling that I am going to miss this one, so if you get the chance to see it please post.

I will keep an eye on widefield, comets and asteroids in the hope that someone with clear skies can at least give me a description.

Marvin

Just caught this tonight. Quite unexpected clear skies, and I was quite tired so nearly didn't bother. However, the little 72mm was begging to be taken out, and it showed me Vesta very clearly. Easy to identify comparing with Skysafari, I managed a quick phone shot too as a record.

Thanks for the heads up! 👍👍

Screenshot_20191107-233544_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

20191107_225546-01.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1