Narrowband

RASA 8 first light image

fwm891

Woke (too) early this morning to find it clear 🙂 as the RASA was still set-up from last evenings efforts I decided to try a few targets. IC405 is the only one processed at the moment. The image comprises 10x 120s subs, gain 122 offset 30 on the ASI294 MC Pro.

I can see that at some stage I've upset the PA but still like the image.

CEM60 Standard mount, processed in PI no calibration frames. Process after integration: ABE, Background neutralisation, colour calibration, saturation and histogram transformation - saved as 16 bit tiff and 8 bit jpg.

More to follow if I can stay awake...

IC405_RASA_ASI294MC-Pro 10x120s.jpg

• Like 14

Few more from first light session. Process change:

Initial process for these were APP to integration then PI for colour work.

Horse head (IC434) 5x 120s

M42 10x30s 10x60s 6x120s

Rosette ngc4422 5x120s

IC405_RASA_ASI294MC_Pro_APP_ABE_ABE.jpg

IC434_RASA_ASI294MC_Pro_APP.jpg

M42_RASA_ASI294MC_PRO_APP_ABE.jpg

Rosette_RASA_ASI294MC_Pro_APP_ABE.jpg

Edited by fwm891
text added
  • Like 8

Lovely first light images Francis - shows the potential of the RASA 8 and the what can be done with short subs / less data. Really nice fields of view too.

Look forwards to seeing more of these - I'm getting very tempted to have a play with one of these RASA 8's myself....

• Thanks 1

You're probably super tired now (or asleep), but what a haul of images! I've seen enough of the RASA to know if I was a pure DSO imager, this is what I'd get. 

Edited by Lockie
I spelled You're as your! doh!
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grant said:

Lovely first light images Francis - shows the potential of the RASA 8 and the what can be done with short subs / less data. Really nice fields of view too.

Look forwards to seeing more of these - I'm getting very tempted to have a play with one of these RASA 8's myself....

Thanks Grant, Still a few bits to sort out. The quoted 25mm spacing definitely requires a filter of some sort in place. I seem to have knocked the mount at some stage the stars at the edges/corners look like a PA adjustment is needed.

I think this scope could become addictive...

12 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Francis really great astro photos. You certainly have a talent. Hopefully, I will see you next weekend.

Thanks Mark - You should see me at some stage next week end. Really want to meet some of the SGLer's and FLOer's in person

2 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

That's some photo hoover Francis. Cracking images for such short exposures. How well does it hold focus during a session?

Steve

Holds focus well. Though temps have been quite stable over the short sessions I've had over the last few days- time will tell

Second light night images

These are imaged and process in the same way as those above. Just enjoying getting images at the moment - work on the teckie sides latter when I get more familiar with the scope/camera/filter combos. 

BAT_Neb_ABE.jpg

Nth_Am_Pelican_RASA_PI.jpg

NGC_1499_RASA_PI.jpg

M45_RASA_Crop-PI.jpg

ic1396_RASA_PI.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveS said:

What camera / filters are you using (Sorry if I missed the post)? Only I'm seeing some huge blue / violet halos around bright stars.

Hi Dave - Camera is the ASI 294MC Pro, the filter is an IDAS NB-1 dual narrow band. I've had to mount the filter the wrong way round at present - I need an adapter to reverse it so it faces to sky with it's front face. Getting there. It also seems to be missing some H-alpha probably for the same reason.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Very nice data! :)
but the stars.... :(

You probably need to make (or 3D print) a spider vein and attach/hide camera cables to each vein to make star spikes more symmetric...

Hi Roland - If you'd read the earlier post you'd have seen that the 'teckie' stuff comes later. I've had the rasa a couple of days, there are issues and they will be looked at in due course.

• Like 1

Amazing images given the integration time. Making me rethink my Scopes now.... 4 or 5 hours on M42 with my rig attains much less data than what you have  with such a ridiculously short integration time. 

• Like 1