Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh 2 150.

alan potts

Well I have had to stretch the living daylights out of this to get anything really, and used all 2 hours 8 minutes of data, guess this is just not enough for this patch. The stars have suffered and just can't find my book on star masking so they look pretty awful. There is something nice about the image though I am not sure what.

I posted this as I have not seen it before and I am jumping around targets to see whats up there. I don't know if the dark patch on the right is meant to be there or is a result of poor Flats again.

1641346377_Autosave003copy.thumb.jpg.586f789bf652273c27ff85517f46a556.jpg

Please feel free to offer advice.

Alan

• Like 11

That's an interesting one Alan.Not sure if I have seen it before.I know what you mean it is rather nice.

Well done for the capture.

Do you take flats and Bias frames?

On my PC it does have a slight green tinge,but hey I,m no expert,and never will be.

Mick.

Alan, your image is great, it just requires a bit more data.   I've stolen some notes from Dean Salman's web page "CCD Images of The Sharpless Catalogue" as follows...... " Shooting a lot of RGB color is a good idea because there are a few nice reflection nebulae in the area that would be hidden using just the H-Alpha filter. The reflection nebula comes out very nicely over time. Using just a clear filter for the luminance is not going to work very well, so if you don’t have an H-Alpha filter, use the red as a luminance to help pick up the vast nebula in the area". 

Your "black hole" on the right is there and a bit larger than your image shows, so it's not your flats.

I took this image 3 years ago, I don't know if it will help but may be useful as a comparison.

Geoff

sh2-150ha50%.tif

Edited by Spitfire
punctuation
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, astro mick said:

That's an interesting one Alan.Not sure if I have seen it before.I know what you mean it is rather nice.

Well done for the capture.

Do you take flats and Bias frames?

On my PC it does have a slight green tinge,but hey I,m no expert,and never will be.

Mick.

Mick, I do Flats and Dark Flats but was told not to do Bias as it takes two calibration out on the Flats, I was doing this a while back but stopped. It too has a green tinge on my monitor which cost a packet, so there is not much wrong with yours.

I stretch this image so much to get this far and tried to remove then green a bit but it is still there. I may add another 45 minutes tonight and try harder with the processing, it's a faint one though Mick.

Just remember I could have used channel mixer to take green out, removed 10% Must try harder with the stars they look horrible.

1475165041_Autosave003copy.thumb.jpg.aa28a61e07a258f08c67fc0d25f12baf.jpg

Alan

1 hour ago, Spitfire said:

Alan, your image is great, it just requires a bit more data.   I've stolen some notes from Dean Salman's web page "CCD Images of The Sharpless Catalogue" as follows...... " Shooting a lot of RGB color is a good idea because there are a few nice reflection nebulae in the area that would be hidden using just the H-Alpha filter. The reflection nebula comes out very nicely over time. Using just a clear filter for the luminance is not going to work very well, so if you don’t have an H-Alpha filter, use the red as a luminance to help pick up the vast nebula in the area". 

Your "black hole" on the right is there and a bit larger than your image shows, so it's not your flats.

I took this image 3 years ago, I don't know if it will help but may be useful as a comparison.

Geoff

sh2-150ha50%.tif 89.53 MB · 10 downloads

I will add to it tonight, it's a faint one for sure, can't get your image to open in PS, tried a few times, nothing. It is a rather nice area that I feel is worth spending a bit more time shooting. I have to admit with having 2 new cameras I am rather hopping around doing an hour here an hour there so I can see what is what now I have this new Shapeless catalogue loaded.

Alan

46 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Great start on an interesting patch of sky Alan 

I like your star colours. 
what camera and filters was this taken with? 

cheers 

Bryan 

Thanks, Bryan, the star colours may be ok but the stars themselves are not at all good, I had to stretch this so much to actually get anything. I used my 071 Zwo on this, it like the 183 are both OSC cameras and the only filter I have for either is the IR/UV block filter which someone recommend to use. The 071 is a nice camera showing a wide field and can be used on an array of scopes, for 1500 it has a good sized APS C chip, which I think is the same size as the one in my Canon 40 D.

Going to add to this tonight and maybe tomorrow try and control things better, I don't like to over colour my images if I can help it, at least I try not to.

Alan

Hi Alan. You seem to be getting to grips with the new camera. 😎 As Geoff said you need more data. Try to gather at least 10 hours per target and if you haven't already do yourself a favor and invest in APP. It took my osc imaging to a level i couldn't achieve with Dss or PI. Definitely looks like a green cast and perhaps a gradient across the frame. If you use PS Hlvg is a great plugin as is gradient exterminator.

• Like 1

Alan,

I seem to have an adverse affect on electronics. This is why I don't publish too many items! The image was coming up on Windows Photo Viewer after a long wait. I'll try again with the "choose file" option below. Let me know if it works.sh2-150ha50%.tif Don't know what is happening as it only wants to be in this position on the text and doesn't open as an image.

Anyone else having the same problem?

OK so it wants to be in 2 places. Said electronics don't like me!

Geoff

sh2-150ha50%.tif

Edited by Spitfire

Well Geoff, my default on this is PS and that don't want to know so I changed it windows picture viewer and that also don't seem to want to know either, I don't have anything else on this machine. I will have a look later in the observatory where I have two more picture viewing programs that my mate Venci rates highly.

Ha ha over 2 minutes then they both open up in the programs, that could be my Net connection, appeared to have a bit of a purple caste on my monitor but stacks more in there than I have in mine, nice shot.

Alan

12 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Hi Alan. You seem to be getting to grips with the new camera. 😎 As Geoff said you need more data. Try to gather at least 10 hours per target and if you haven't already do yourself a favor and invest in APP. It took my osc imaging to a level i couldn't achieve with Dss or PI. Definitely looks like a green cast and perhaps a gradient across the frame. If you use PS Hlvg is a great plugin as is gradient exterminator.

I know your right and I am not going to argue as you know much better than me, 10 hours, I will make an effort to collect this much data but I get fed up of seeing the same thing on screen. I am really only doing recognisance on targets at the moment to see what I feel is worth more time and was collection 2-3 hours over the last few nights. We have had 18 nights on trot clear after a run of 43 and I tend to spend about 3 hours out per night, in anycase I wouldn't want to be out a great deal longer with the weather we get, there's always another night.

At the moment I am having something of a struggle with a medical condition that I am being operated on for on Weds, I cannot allow myself to get cold. But hopefully after this I can get back to something of a normal life once recovered where cold which doesn't normally bother me can be ignored. The prostate is very good at picking up cold I am told and in any case to sit for longer is difficult with a catheter, hopeful this will be a thing of the past in say a month, I'm in good nick so should be able to get back to normal fairly fast.

I will look at APP which I believe is Astro Pixel Processor or something like, I have PS CC at the moment but no plug-ins for gradient, The green cast I tried to put right in a shot posted just above, where on my screen it has gone, for sure it was there. Can I ask what is Hlvg? I have only heard of Astro Flat which I have seen used on my data.

Alan

Good stuff Alan.

I gave up on this one when I tried it - as you say it's very faint and needs a LOT of data.  I think that's why you don't see many images of it.  More data will help for sure but I think you've done a great job with what you have so far.  I don't mind leaving a bit of green in images but HLVG is worth getting to add to your tool kit. 

I hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of running your image through it - obviously results are better with the original data rather than a jpeg but it gives you an idea...

895993416_Sh2-150HLVG.thumb.jpg.6fa236350dfe3321b12bf5b411caade4.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Good stuff Alan.

I gave up on this one when I tried it - as you say it's very faint and needs a LOT of data.  I think that's why you don't see many images of it.  More data will help for sure but I think you've done a great job with what you have so far.  I don't mind leaving a bit of green in images but HLVG is worth getting to add to your tool kit. 

I hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of running your image through it - obviously results are better with the original data rather than a jpeg but it gives you an idea...

895993416_Sh2-150HLVG.thumb.jpg.6fa236350dfe3321b12bf5b411caade4.jpg

I don't mind what people do with what I post here, it all helps me. For what it's worth my brother worked at a job creation unit many years ago, there was a photographer there, he was shown a fair bit of my work on Rock concerts. I was pretty good at shooting with all the lights and and knew settings for this type of thing. About 8 month or so later on a wet day Brother and I went into a Gallery in Hull to see my photo's passed off as this other guy, the odd thing was I wasn't the one that noticed.

Your result is very good but the stars are still horrible, added another hour last night and will do the same tonight, as it is clear, 19 days and counting.

Alan

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

I don't mind what people do with what I post here, it all helps me. For what it's worth my brother worked at a job creation unit many years ago, there was a photographer there, he was shown a fair bit of my work on Rock concerts. I was pretty good at shooting with all the lights and and knew settings for this type of thing. About 8 month or so later on a wet day Brother and I went into a Gallery in Hull to see my photo's passed off as this other guy, the odd thing was I wasn't the one that noticed.

Your result is very good but the stars are still horrible, added another hour last night and will do the same tonight, as it is clear, 19 days and counting.

Alan

Blimey - I'd be proper annoyed at that. Absolutely outrageous!

• Like 1