Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

MKHACHFE

Laugh if you want, but this city dwellers has a serious question about animals and getting spooked when alone at at a dark site ....

Dairy production can be very cruel, the cows are often only just short of completely insane. So a farmer once explained to me, as well as showing me some of the very alarming evidence. I soon after stopped eating dairy. :sad: He also said, to contradict himself, they only really needed to be feared if they had just had a calf. He also said that cows were far more dangerous than bulls, unless they were in a field with cows!

On the subject of Ticks, this Danish fella, living in Russia, gives some useful information on avoiding them. It seems that he is inundated by them out there. 

On 26/10/2019 at 07:44, Stu said:

For me I remember observing in the New Forest on a very dark night, and a pony managed to sneak up fairly close to me before making a noise. Made me jump certainly!

It's worse when they creep up on you, then do a loud sneeze or thunderous fart!🤣

• Haha 3

I've lost count of the number of times animals have made me jump when observing over the years.  One of the most recent I can recall was something that made no noise at all - I was still setting up and turned round to see two inquisitive fox cubs sitting only two metres away, curiously watching what I was doing.  It doesn't help that I'm naturally very jumpy anyway, I often tell my wife she needs to wear a bell, I get mild frights on a regular basis when she appears silently in the room behind me and starts talking to me!

• Haha 1

Next door's cat made my jump this morning as I went out through the back porch and she jumped down and ran out the door!  🤣