Narrowband

Barnard 150

Allinthehead

Hi all. This is Barnard 150, a dark nebula in Cepheus. Cataloged in the early 20th century by E. E Barnard. At  some 1,200 ly distant it is part of a much larger molecular cloud.

This was a challenge as i had issues with dew which have been sorted since, however most of the subs were affected and as i'm in the middle of a much larger project i can't sacrifice any more clear sky to redo the subs. 

10 hrs in 150 second subs over two nights in August with the Esprit 100 and the Asi 071

Sensor cooled to -5 and gain 50. Zwo Ir filter.

All mounted on an Az Eq6.

Captured with Sgpro and Stacked in APP

Processed in APP, PI and PS

I reckon i'm among a very small group of people in Ireland that are looking forward to the clocks changing this weekend.

Clear skies to enjoy.

Richard.

10hrFinal.thumb.png.c601bb8801484d482ee5fb3ad28cfe1d.png

• Like 27

Absolutely gorgeous Richard! I always love your stars, the 071's deep wells must be a joy to process. Good to see the Esprit working well for you too. 

When viewed full screen, the image has real depth, almost 3-D like. 

If i could offer a very small piece of feedback, i'm not sure if this one really needs viewing at 100%. Full-screen looks good enough IMHO, as you get to take it all in, and there's not much in the way of small-scale detail on show anyway, so perhaps this could be an example of one where a downsample would be of benefit?

7 hours ago, Xiga said:

Absolutely gorgeous Richard! I always love your stars, the 071's deep wells must be a joy to process. Good to see the Esprit working well for you too. 

Thanks Ciarán. Yes the 071 is a very good camera and the deep wells are a bonus, however i will probably be selling it soon to fund this https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=94&id=56

7 hours ago, Xiga said:

If i could offer a very small piece of feedback, i'm not sure if this one really needs viewing at 100%. Full-screen looks good enough IMHO, as you get to take it all in, and there's not much in the way of small-scale detail on show anyway, so perhaps this could be an example of one where a downsample would be of benefit?

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mean reducing the image size in PS?

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Ciarán. Yes the 071 is a very good camera and the deep wells are a bonus, however i will probably be selling it soon to fund this https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=94&id=56

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mean reducing the image size in PS?

Yes just reducing the image size. Although as I recently discovered, using PS is not ideal for this. The algorithm it uses is not the best. Seeing as you have APP, it would be better to use it instead as it uses the Lanczos algorithm. 

The Qhy600 looks amazing. Small pixels, big wells and native 16bit! Any idea what it's likely to cost? 

Edited by Xiga

23 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Yes just reducing the image size. Although as I recently discovered, using PS is not ideal for this. The algorithm it uses is not the best. Seeing as you have APP, it would be better to use it instead as it uses the Lanczos algorithm. 

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

23 minutes ago, Xiga said:

The Qhy600 looks amazing. Small pixels, big wells and native 16bit! Any idea what it's likely to cost? 

Did the link take you to the Qhy600? It's the 268c i'm after. 26 mp 16 bit Aps-c 

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Did the link take you to the Qhy600? It's the 268c i'm after. 26 mp 16 bit Aps-c 

Nope, that was just me being a numpty!

The link was fine. Meant to type 268c 😅

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

I'd say it will be at least 2.5k if not 3k

👍

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason you're thinking of upgrading? The smaller pixels or the fact that its 16bit? Is there much of a difference in 14bit vs 16bit data once stacked? 

25 minutes ago, Xiga said:

👍

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason you're thinking of upgrading? The smaller pixels or the fact that its 16bit? Is there much of a difference in 14bit vs 16bit data once stacked? 

It's really a combination of the above plus higher full well, backlit sensor and lower read noise.

33 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Is there much of a difference in 14bit vs 16bit data once stacked? 

Not really once you stack enough subs. I suppose 16 bit will allow longer subs and fewer in number. I'll await the tests on the camera before making a decision. I hardly use my 1600 anymore so i'll sell both to help fund it, if it's as good as the specs are claiming.

This is a beautiful image, well framed and processed with incredible finesse.

It really does have a 3D feel to it

I love it! 

Thank you for sharing 

what’s the sky quality like at your imaging site? 

Bryan

Edited by assouptro

16 minutes ago, assouptro said:

This is a beautiful image, well framed and processed with incredible finesse.

It really does have a 3D feel to it

I love it! 

Thank you for sharing 

what’s the sky quality like at your imaging site? 

Bryan

Thank you Bryan. According to clear outside I'm bortle 4. I am however in a housing estate so i do have significant glow from sodium street lights. I can't image straight over the house to the North as there's one right outside the front. Great sky to the east tho.