SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Processing Help: L-enHance Filter

Hi all, hoping for some words of wisdom! I recently purchased an Optolong L-enHance filter to go with my ASI294MC Pro and ZS61, partly to remove light pollution and partly to allow me to experiment with targets I just couldn't get data on before. My understanding of this filter, as shown here, is that it lets through Ha, Hb and OIII as Red Blue and Green respectively. The filter adds a green hue to images, as shown here (from Astrobackyard), which I should be able to sort out via flats etc.

For my first test session with the filter I pointed the scope at the Heart nebula, didn't capture flats, and for whatever reason DSS won't stack my darks, possibly as I captured in 8-bit PNG by accident. Ignoring the issues with the data, i'd like to do something with it if I can. Below are my stacked red, green and blue channels. Unstretched.

Red.thumb.jpg.26d84584c44c90d7890e9945ad8f2372.jpg

Green.thumb.jpg.6acade1e4ade931e006a1be6914db98f.jpg

Blue.thumb.jpg.cb6ba06c44bf1efb050c1fd01b7dea7a.jpg

Blue is as I expected - quite empty. Red contains the most prominent parts of the Heart Nebula, but green contains more than I expected. How would you combine these layers back into a colour image, ignoring fine tuning for now? My thinking is:

• Red should be Red + Green, taking the brightest pixel from each to form a new red (or something close to that)
  • Green should be a mix of Red and Blue so that stars have a more natural colour, and the brighter bits of nebula trend towards lighter red
  • Blue should stay blue, but possibly take in some of Red (brightest 5% or something?

Does this make any sense? Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...