Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Dumbo

looking at the SkyWatcher 8” Traditional Dobsonian (total noob here)

Recommended Posts

The scope should be close enough to being collimated to use right away. A collimating cap is a simple cheap but helpful tool but you’ll also want to get a Cheshire eyepiece for more precise collimation.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

Then there is a world of increasingly expensive tools available but you won’t need any of them right away. BTW the biggest mistake I see with beginners trying to collimate a scope is making huge changes to the collimation knobs and screws. Just tiny, tiny adjustments and creep up on collimation.

http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2019 at 14:09, johninderby said:

The scope should be close enough to being collimated to use right away. A collimating cap is a simple cheap but helpful tool but you’ll also want to get a Cheshire eyepiece for more precise collimation.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

Then there is a world of increasingly expensive tools available but you won’t need any of them right away. BTW the biggest mistake I see with beginners trying to collimate a scope is making huge changes to the collimation knobs and screws. Just tiny, tiny adjustments and creep up on collimation.

It arrived today!!! 
I gave it a check over and assembled it and all looks fab!
Was wondering if there might be any common faults or any other faults I should look out for straight out of the box? 
Everything seems fine to me. 
The only downside I would say is that the eye pieces seem a little of the lower end quality however I was aware that would be the case so nothing unexpected there. 

I ordered a collimating cap from flo and also a red light night reader torch, And the "sky and telescope sky atlas" from amazon (Arriving on the 18th dec... have to wait a month and 1/2 for printing lol) Still it was the cheapest I found at £15.
I will have to wait a bit to purchase any of the more expensive parts like a Cheshire or finder etc... 
My priority next is getting a bag for it, I have my eye on this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chaseley-Awning-Staffordshire-Stitched-Material/dp/B06XPJDNLD/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp.

So now all I got to do is pray for clear sky's 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Download Stellarium and start learning how to use to see what is up each night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s more things that you can do to improve the scope rather than fix any problems with it. You’ll want to search for bearing mods for Skywatcher dobs in particular. Yes the eyepieces are not that great but usable for now. BST Starguider eyepieces are a good budget series of eyepieces that will serve you well and be a huge improvemt over the stock ones.

Just take your time and enjoy the experience of learning your way around the sky. 
 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:55, Dumbo said:

That looks really good as well. I would be worried about doing any major mods like that though, maybe I'll get some straps or a bag. 

This is a strap handle I made with 50mm polyprop webbing, some fabric and a rubber grip. Straps tighten on with Velcro, Very strong and easy to remove.

I've also made a weight belt the same way that can easily be moved up or down the tube to balance. Also may I suggest some kind of stool is one of the best things you can have to improve your viewing experience.

tel xt8.jpg

Edited by strayring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, strayring said:

This is a strap handle I made with 50mm polyprop webbing, some fabric and a rubber grip. Straps tighten on with Velcro, Very strong and easy to remove.

I've also made a weight belt the same way that can easily be moved up or down the tube to balance. Also may I suggest some kind of stool is one of the best things you can have to improve your viewing experience.

 

Yeah I need a folding stool of some sort , managed to get a nylon bag which fit the scope perfectly with just enough room for some protective bubble wrap or towels for some extra protection.
just spent the last hour collimating the secondary mirror and realised I'll need some knee pads until I get better at that too.
Was confusing in the beginning but I think I got it now, just need to get faster.
Was hoping I wouldn't need to adjust the primary mirror but it does need some light adjustment.
so I will tackle the primary mirror at some point soon.
Also that primary mirror picks up dust pretty quickly but there is no way I'm messing with that mirror for a few specks of dust.
The little OCD man inside me is crying. I probably shouldn't have worn a jumper while doing it.. I guess in the long run it's inevitable to get dirty.
Probably a stupid question but is there a safe dusting cloth that can be used lightly to remove settled dust ?

I feel like the expense of this hobby will never end.😂😂 on the plus side I have pretty much everything I need to get started so I'm well on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some light dust on the primary won't affect the views at all.

If you want to remove it and can get near the mirror, a manually operated "hurricane" blower seems to be the best tool. I use one like this:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/matin-hurricane-blower-1028568/?mkwid=suvkiEYmP_dc&pcrid=310558796614&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1028568&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-pzQ54bH5QIVAojVCh3yZQaxEAQYBSABEgLdY_D_BwE

Best not touch the primary mirror by using a duster and suchlike.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John said:

Some light dust on the primary won't affect the views at all.

If you want to remove it and can get near the mirror, a manually operated "hurricane" blower seems to be the best tool. I use one like this:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/matin-hurricane-blower-1028568/?mkwid=suvkiEYmP_dc&pcrid=310558796614&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1028568&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-pzQ54bH5QIVAojVCh3yZQaxEAQYBSABEgLdY_D_BwE

Best not touch the primary mirror by using a duster and suchlike.

 

 

Yes I'm very cautious about touching any of the optical surfaces really. 
Thank you for the info I will probably will get one of those, it seems pretty handy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2019 at 21:54, Dumbo said:

Total noob here first time post and need some friendly advice, 
I'm seriously thinking about getting into star gazing with telescopes and after looking around in various places it seems this is a good one to go for, I can see it's not that portable but still could be manageable with a bag and certainly doable with 2 people. 
I'm wondering what your thoughts are and if perhaps there are other options around this price range £200-300? 
As mentioned I'm a total noob with telescopes, all help and advise would be greatly appreciated.


 

Spot on, 8 inch is a good choice. And it's even doable with 1 person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.