SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

£1500 to spend on new scope

U got the eq8 which is huge either use your 102 doublet apo or trade for a triplet apo in the range up to 120mm is enough.

130 is max u dont need anything bigger.

Meade 115mm 6000 triplet

Skywatcher 100mm esprit

Es has few in the 100 to 120 mm triplets

Then for visual buy a skywatcher 10 inch f4.8 reflector and u can use that same mount since u have it.

Has to be in used sites astro buy sell or this site. As long u can wait abit. I just saw on astro buy sell Canada one Meade 6000 115mm came up for sale 1800cdn I think, last week. That's about 1100uk?

Of course that's too far for u but one should cone available in UK market sooner or later.

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=154798

Depending on the distance make him a cheeky offer, go and look at it, if you decide to buy it maybe replace the focuser if needed.

I've never used a secondary heater, a short camping mat dew shield is all that's needed.

f/4.8 is more forgiving on collimation than the f/4 of the quattro, I rarely check mine now and it's not permanently mounted so gets moved around a bit.

1 hour ago, Northernlight said:

My only concern about buying the VX10 would be the customer service if I had a problem with the scope.

My 200mm f3.8's primary didn't fit their own cell 😃 so they siliconed it 🤣 causing massive astigmatism :laugh:

My VX10 is good.

22 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Sods-law there is someone selling a vx12 on astro buy&sell who lives in my town, but 12" is just too big. 10" is the sweet spot for me.

The VX12 is f/4 isn't it, so still 1200mm fl?

I'd of thought it'd be a good match with your EQ8.

22 hours ago, Northernlight said:

The guy selling the VX10 is asking for just short of £700 despite him saying the tube is not in best condition. I think I'll pass on that then, despite it apparently having an upgraded focuser.

He won't get that for it, I've bought both mine for £500 or less, both 1/10th wave mirrors / standard focusers. Beware the new focusers they're using, it's a SW low profile clone and they're garbage.

On 24/10/2019 at 14:53, johninderby said:

Those stories about OO quality control are so out of date now. 

A lot of stories about how bad OO was were spread on SGL years ago by a disgruntled ex OO employee who had been sacked.

I agree. I have an eight inch VX. A great telescope. Easy to collimate.