Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Lockie

COMPLETED - 12" Dob **SOLD**

Beacon Hill 12" f/5 Dob with 50mm finder.  some tarnish marks on the mirror so could do with a recoat at some point. Most of the mirror is still clean and relective. I purchased this scope as an extra item when I picked up an heavy duty pillar mount. On a whim I thought about mounting the 12" on the eq mount but it really is just too big. I've not moved it more than a few feet since I bought it but did poke it out the garage for some good dso views. it's heavy and Needs a permanent site really. I only paid 180 so call it 160 pounds collected from Ipswich. Or can swap for a smaller scope.

Any question just ask.

IMG_20191023_112707650.jpg

IMG_20191023_112659386.jpg

IMG_20191023_112651672.jpg

IMG_20191023_112647658.jpg

IMG_20191023_112725749.jpg

IMG_20191023_112718815.jpg

IMG_20191023_112714556.jpg

IMG_20191023_112756126.jpg

Edited by Lockie

Might well also work for someone who could make up a little trolley or barrow so it was easier to move about?

James

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Might well also work for someone who could make up a little trolley or barrow so it was easier to move about?

James

I bought a Dolly for it from ALDI, this enabled me to wheel it a few feet out the garage to face a street light and two security lights :( (still managed to see the ring neb directly though)  I've not attempted to move it down the alleyway to the back of the house where I want to observe. You just know when something isn't a good idea lol  I just don't have the right layout for this scope. 

IMG_20191024_112435725.jpg

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

Yikes! - one LED streetlight and two spotlights, (...or two insecure neighbours). 

Edited by Philip R

4 hours ago, Philip R said:

Yikes! - one LED streetlight and two spotlights, (...or two insecure neighbours). 

The back garden is much better, a couple of distant street lights but nice open skies :)

17 hours ago, Tcerbulis15 said:

Hello

I'd like to ask you, how heavy is the scope?

Cheers

Toms

Including the Dob base, it's a complete guess but maybe 30kg. I could be way out though, I have no way of weighing it. 

I can't believe this hasn't sold for 150, it's a 12" dob and 50mm finder for 150! lol but I'll try dropping it down to £140 to see if we can make this the worlds cheapest 12" Dob :D 

p.s. If it doesn't sell for the token price of 140, I'll probably shelve it for restoration at some point. 

Edited by Lockie

Sorry it hasn’t sold yet Chris, lots of aperture for the money. Would probably work well permanently set up on someone’s patio under a cover or ‘sentry’ style lift off box, and on a dolly. Sadly I’m not set up for this either. :( 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Sorry it hasn’t sold yet Chris, lots of aperture for the money. Would probably work well permanently set up on someone’s patio under a cover or ‘sentry’ style lift off box, and on a dolly. Sadly I’m not set up for this either. :( 

No worries, I'm just a bit surprised. I'll probably withdraw the ad soon and think up a plan for it. 

• Like 1

If I had a reason to travel anywhere near Ipswich I would have jumped at this scope.
But at at 6 hours and 300 miles.....

It isn't just the travel. I would very much enjoy bringing this scope back up to working condition - given time which I can't seem to find.
There is an amateur radio club with a darkish sky (already using my 10" SW dob) where it could be housed.

Please withdraw it, or someone else buy it before I get tempted!😃

Good luck with the sale.

David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 1

I'll put the £120 towards a scope I can actually get to my back garden! lol  

Surely not still pending after 4 more weeks? Please tell me it has gone before I get tempted to remove the car seats.....

David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Haha 1

If I didn't live closer to Norway than London, I'd have happily restored that and made a nice little wheelbarrow trolley for the sides. That's £10 per inch of aperture. Hope it found a good home. Save the (old) Dobs! 👍

• Like 3

On 12/11/2019 at 21:56, Lockie said:

I'll put the £120 towards a scope I can actually get to my back garden! lol  

That's the issue...  12" Dobs ARE BIG!   Mine isn't getting used much either, too much of a faff.

Glad you sold it mate 👍

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I didn't realise this was still active! Oops! Now sold.

• Like 1