Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

don4l

Veil in HOO

This is 55m Ha and 130m OIII taken with a G3 16200, Chroma filters with a Tak 106 with 3,6 reducer.

I was hoping to blend in some SIII. but my 12nm SII filter is too noisy in my light polluted skies, and it produces huge stars!

The camera is still new to me, and after 55m Ha I thought that I couldn't improve by taking any more.  It looks like I was wrong.  The OIII data is much deeper and cleaner.  This is a completely new problem for me - but a very nice problem to have.  I will probably come back to this next year and get some more data.

Feedback (good and bad) on how the image looks would be appreciated.

color scaledVeilb.jpg

VeilCdC.jpg

Edited by don4l
  • Like 14

Very nice image; I really like to see the whole Veil.

If that was mine I'd be well pleased. I also find adding SII can be a mixed blessing and prefer more and more to stick with HOO.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes excellent image and as said rare to see the whole object.

Alan

• Thanks 1

That's amazing. I'm hoping the do some HOO if the weather ever improves.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the positive comments.  I nearly didn't post the image because I felt that it needed more Ha.  The funny thing is that this is undoubtedly my best image to date.  There is something about this camera that I cannot quite get my head around.  The data doesn't seem to need much processing - and it isn't obvious (to me) why that is the case.  It is also easy to see how more data will improve the image, in a way that didn't apply to me last camera.

@ollypenrice has made comments about the data from his Atik 11000 camera being a joy to work with.  I wonder if I am seeing something similar here?

lovely image and great framing of one of my favourite DSO's

I too find HOO more pleasing on the veil

Thanks for sharing

Bryan