Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

I failed to ID Kr 60 a few years ago with the OMC 200. A few nights ago using the Obsession 15 confirmed the correct star but conditions were too poor to attempt to split the pair. Last night 22/10/19, I split it at x 171 using the 15” but I did need to look carefully to pick it up.

Component A is mag 9.4. Component B is mag 11.4. Currently separated by 1.8”

Kruger 60 is a fascinating double. The pair are just 13 lyrs away, the companion orbits in about 44 yrs. The pair being so close to our solar system have a high proper motion. They are both low mass red dwarfs. Kruger 60 is less massive than our sun. Component B is a flare star and is one of the lowest mass stars known. When B flares it outshines the main star.

It is not easy to split the pair. Experts suggest that not even an 8” refractor will not split them under GB skies. A 10” scope with high quality optics is probably the minimum size and a dark transparent steady night is required.

WDS catalogue lists various other components but they are all not true components.

Mike

1148013976_CepheusKruger60.png.66702354b78a1625427ea952dc514418.png

• Like 6

Beautifully done ! Separated by a distance comparable to the Sun and Saturn and what movement ! Nick.image.thumb.jpg.a8d4a843dde48af3eb151284098c92e7.jpg

• Like 1

Aha! I've found the double star section! Nicely done drawing Mike. I shall be checking this section a few more times now I've found it.