Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cepheus - Kruger 60

I failed to ID Kr 60 a few years ago with the OMC 200. A few nights ago using the Obsession 15 confirmed the correct star but conditions were too poor to attempt to split the pair. Last night 22/10/19, I split it at x 171 using the 15” but I did need to look carefully to pick it up.

Component A is mag 9.4. Component B is mag 11.4. Currently separated by 1.8”

Kruger 60 is a fascinating double. The pair are just 13 lyrs away, the companion orbits in about 44 yrs. The pair being so close to our solar system have a high proper motion. They are both low mass red dwarfs. Kruger 60 is less massive than our sun. Component B is a flare star and is one of the lowest mass stars known. When B flares it outshines the main star.

It is not easy to split the pair. Experts suggest that not even an 8” refractor will not split them under GB skies. A 10” scope with high quality optics is probably the minimum size and a dark transparent steady night is required.

WDS catalogue lists various other components but they are all not true components.

Mike

1148013976_CepheusKruger60.png.66702354b78a1625427ea952dc514418.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...