Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

vineyard

COMPLETED - SOLD - HEQ5 Tripod (Mint) - REDUCED to 70

Hello,

I have a mint condition HEQ5 tripod for sale.  3/8" thread mounting bolt, spreader bar, 1.75" diameter legs.  Its never been used (I got it as part of an overall package, but I already have a Berlebach I use).  Still with the original polystyrene at the ends in the box it came in.  These sell for GBP109 new.  Happy to sell it for GBP70 plus postage (which in the UK via hermes should be about GBP9) or to hand over boxed in person (London).

I'm new on SGL so don't have ratings here, but I do have 100% ratings on eBay.  Figured I would offer it on SGL first as I enjoy the community.  If no takers, then will offer it on other sites.

Cheers,

Vin

***** REDUCED to GBP 70 + p&p as I have a ZWO I need to pay for :)  *****

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

Edited by vineyard
Price reduction

Are you sure the 3/8” mounting bolt will fit the HEQ5 ?

I thought the HEQ5 was metric - M10

Edited by dweller25

You're right David, I think the threads on the HEQ5 mount are M10 - I don't have an HEQ5 mount, and while frustratingly the specs on quite a few dealer websites don't specify this, that's what I've tracked down on other forums (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/608035-metrics-for-bolt-sizes-for-orion-sirius-sw-heq5/?p=8397390).

Sorry for any confusion about the 3/8" reference.  I'd measured the tripod bolt for someone who wanted to know if a 3/8" mount would work on this tripod.  It does because the mounting bolt that comes with the tripod is 9.525mm (3/8") diameter (see photo below).  Importantly for compatibility, this 3/8" bolt will fit into a M10 mount because they are so close, but it wouldn't work the other way around (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/494575-m10-15-or-38-x-16/?p=6497952).

So this tripod & bolt can absolutely take M10 mounts (like the HEQ5 <-- which makes sense since its an HEQ5Pro tripod :) ) and it can also take 3/8" mounts (like the better normal photography or video mounts from folks like Manfrotto, where the tripod head needs 3/8" and typically uses a smaller 1/4" to connect onwards to the DSLR).

Tbh, it's quite a versatile tripod and if I didn't already have a wooden one I prefer to use, it'd be a keeper but I need to clear some space & also need to finance a CMOS camera :)so something's got to go sadly.

Sorry I should have made that clearer in my OP - my bad & thanks for spotting that!

Cheers

IMG_2478.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark Daniels
      Thought this might be of interest
      made binocular tripod modification to use my25x100 celestrons. The original tripod was redundent so added £30 of steel and bits and it works well. Bit of refining but may be later!

• By IvIark
      Note this is for the fork mount, heavy duty tripod and accessories only.  No OTA included.
      This sale is for the LX50 fork mount from my recently de-forked Meade 10" SCT.  In perfect working order, this LX50 version has the optional encoders fitted, which means if you can get you hands on the Meade Magellan II computerized hand controller it can become a "push to" mount.
      Comes with 4 speed hand controller, tripod, an equatorial wedge to allow long exposure astrophotography. Also has an autoguider port.
      Perfect for spares or retrofits for existing LX50 owners or for DIY projects where someone wants to equatorially (or even just AltAz) mount a large telescope OTA.
      Meade info: Heavy-duty LX200-type fork mount with 4"dia. sealed polar ball bearing; 5.75" LX worm gear and quartz-microprocessor-controlled DC servo-motor in RA; tangent arm and DC servo motor control system in Dec; multi-function control panel; manual and electric slow-motion controls and setting circles in both axes; keypad hand controller; 4-speed drive controls on both axes; battery compartment accepting six AA-size batteries
      This is a heavy duty mount and will weigh around 40kg so I would much prefer collection from Manchester, but will consider shipping at extra cost to the buyer.  I don't expect it will be cheap though and will need to be shipped in two packages because of the size of the tripod and forks.
      I would like £150 ONO

• By Astrofriend
      I have used my Star Adventurer for a while now and is very satisfaid with it. But it could be improved and I have installed an angled viewfinder to the polar telescope, rebuilt the wedge, etc.
      But there is also the tripod, the one I have now is stable but very big, nothing that I could take with me when traveling. All photagraphy tripods I have looked at that is maximum 0.5 meter long folded look a bit weak or are very expensive. Now I have bought an used Manfrotto model 144, very stable but too long folded. This weekend I cut off the legs to make it shorter. I don't need very high tripod now when using the angled viewfinder.
      Here is my tripod project:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-tripod/01-project-star-adventurer-tripod.html
      /Lars
    • By Joshua Fulker
      Hey, I've been looking for a mount for my 8 inch skywatcher reflector for a while now and can't decide what mount to buy. The requirements i am looking for are the following:
      Goto system or synscan 
      10+ kg weight capacity 
      Tripod
      My budget is around £500. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good mounts or point me into the right direction. 
      My goal is to get better at astrophotography, my previous mount was a dobson mount ( which came with the scope ) but does not have any features to track objects which doesn't help when doing astrophotography. Tnanks
    • By Zadoq
      Hi,
      I've tried to research this, but really struggled because of the amount of choice available in that area. We're looking for a really good tripod to use for imaging with a Canon 5D mark iv, Skywatcher Adventurer and a series of DSLR lenses from 12mm to 200mm focal length. We might be tempted going for a heavier scope later on depending on the success we get with our current equipment, so it's worth bearing that in mind regarding upgradability.
      We are going to travel to Abisko by plane and we are going to carry the kit around while trekking (hence the Adventurer rather than a full size mount), so weight is important but we're not necessarily looking for the lightest tripod: something around 10kg or more would definitely be too heavy, but something around 3kg would still be acceptable, although lighter is better. However stability is really the most important feature we're looking for.
      Subjectively, I'm quite keen on a spread stopper because I think it would make the structure more sturdy, but if a tripod is renowned for being stiff and sturdy without a spread stopper, then that's probably good enough.
      I'm also quite keen on being able to fit a levelling bowl such as Manfrotto 500BALL 100mm Bowl with Knob in order to be able to use a large round spirit level for easier and more accurate levelling, as I want the polar alignment to be as good as possible in order to attempt imaging with lenses of 200mm and maybe a little bit more.
      Because of this and in order to minimise flex, I would prefer a tripod that can house a levelling bowl directly instead of a standard tripod with a central column to which a levelling head would have to be attached. The logic I have there is that I think it makes sense to minimise the number elements and connections as they introduce flex.
      Budget wise, we're not made of money but we'll get what we need to get: we don't want the tripod to be the weakest link.
      While we're at it, advice on a good tripod head (between the Adventurer and camera, e.g. for time lapses) would also be appreciated. I've read that a geared head was probably the best option there (again, we favour stability over anything else).
      Thanks in advance

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.