SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Building/printing Hubble telescope scale 1:7 (finished!)

Chriske

Todays job...

Drilling and tapping holes in the grip's brackets...l-o-t-s of it....😳
The holes were printed of course but I need to widen them a little bit.
These grips are all over the place for the astronauts to hold on to.

image.jpeg.b558f6471042f231287a3f55c3655c1f.jpeg

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 08:43, Chriske said:

And yes, it would be possible to add a optical system in that scope. But it would not be practical to use that scope with all these parts sticking out of it's hull..😁

But maybe, just maybe, if an optical system would be present, I could contact someone who could launch that Mini-HST into a low orbit.  That would be cool, not...??..🚀

Just kidding,
tempting...
No no, just kidding...🤗

It would not be easy to use visually, but how about putting a small camera (an SX Lodestar for instance) at the prime focus of an internal mirror and a Raspberry Pi or similar to control it?  The Pi could talk to the outside world by WiFi or through an ethernet link. All you would need then is a thin power supply cable (and USB if used) to complete the OTA (and see below). As all this kit is entirely inside the tube it would not distract from the visual appearance of the model.

Mounting the OTA would be trickier, but it should be possible to rig up a Dobsonian-like mounting if the solar panels and antennae are removable for when the scope is in use. In particular, the solar panel or antenna mounting points could also be used to connect the OTA to the altitude bearings. Doubtless internal counterweights would be needed to get the centre of gravity into the right place. As power to the camera and TCS is needed only when the scope is in use a socket could be built into the centre of one of the solar power mounting points. If you do go for ethernet comms, the obvious place to put the socket is at the centre of one of the antenna mounting points.

With this design, the removable external bits could be in place for exhibition purposes and be easily removed on the odd occasion when there is a clear night sky.

Edited by Xilman

Due to a dumb 'accident' I ended up with a few cracked ribs. Silly story, don't ask.

So I can't lift HST for the moment and after 'half a pound' of painkillers I can do some light work.
Today I cut a few grips painted end started installing these grips.

image.jpeg.c027d290fdceb7191bcef1d217b27dc0.jpeg

• Sad 1

A few planks, some screws, two thick bolts was all I needed to make me a small device in which I can hang HST on top of my workbench. HST will rotate, lying horizontally, around it's axis. Now I can keep on working with this 'contraption'.
So I need to mount HST only one time/day. Not yet tested, tomorrow morning first time.  Fingers crossed..!

• Like 1

this is how far I got today

image.jpeg.7ec5acb6c19f3acdc244bb08f60e8fec.jpeg

Due to these two bolts at both ends I can't store HST in my workshop anymore. This is how I store HST from now on, in my van. Two thick wires connected to the roof of my van support  our HST. As a matter of fact it's floating for the very first time...😁

• Like 2