SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

heritage 130p focuser assy improvement

gian

Hi all

following a discussion on the beginner section re beginner's astrophotography with this entry level telescope, and the shortcomings of the 130p focuser assembly, i have put together a support. it still allows the telescope to be collapsed for transport and storage

with this support, the assembly is a lot more rigid and will not flex, also stabilizing the secondary mirror (the secondary mirror will move a lot when the focuser assembly is  moved even by a small amount

this would allow the use of a heavier camera (a DSLR perhaps) mounted on the standard eyepiece. this might also permit the installation of a better focuser, i havent checked whats available, or if one can be easily homemade

i have however noticed that the focuser assy does not point straight at 90% towards the secondary mirror, but is canted slightly towards the bottom of the scope. not sure whether it is a defect of the plastic part or a design feature

at this stage, i could glue/screw the support to the focuser assembly as it is, or bend it to straighten it up. i think my preference would be to glue the support to the assy as it is. 

opinions?

all parts are 3d printed, the aluminium is a standard anodized alu tube 15mm OD that can be found in the usual DIY shops

focuser1.jpg

focuser2.jpg

focuser3.jpg

Edited by gian

• 2 years later...