Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31

steviemac500

Hi, I am interested as to people's thoughts on this. It's a 4 panel mosaic shot over several nights. Now, I know that most M31s are quite heavily blue but my data didn't have any in the galaxy but there is definitely blue in the image as its quite obvious in some of the stars. I read that in reality there are very few blue stars anyway and the more realistic colour is towards what I have here? I'm not 100% convinced but would be interested in what you think. Please ignore the pinched stars and the slight misalignment, I'm not quite finished and was going to add some HA in as well. Hi-res link below.

https://astrob.in/wmpbtl/0/

Image25lce.jpg

• Like 6

You should look at the alignment of the stars again, it's possible to get it much better, you might want to look into what order you do things when you splice the panels

I've used PCC and got the standard blue color, i think your images color is affected by the misalingment of the stars since they are used for the color calibration.

1 hour ago, Xplode said:

You should look at the alignment of the stars again, it's possible to get it much better, you might want to look into what order you do things when you splice the panels

I've used PCC and got the standard blue color, i think your images color is affected by the misalingment of the stars since they are used for the color calibration.

Thanks for the comments. I'm aware of the issues with the star alignment but it's only in one section of the mosaic. It's a simple fix by increasing the RNSAC tolerance - I just didn't take enough care first time round! When I add the HA I'll take a bit more care.

What I am really interested in is people's thoughts on the final colour as I said above, there seems to be a conflict about blue or brown.