SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Berlebach Observer's Chairs

Anyone have experience of the Berlebach Hydra II or Nix II Observer's Chairs?

The main difference is the former has adjustable height from 25 to 75cm and the latter 25 to 95cm (which also makes it a bit heavier + taller i.e. no so compact for travel).

I would be using it with the C9.25 or the Tak FS 102 on an SW AZEQ-6 on a Berlebach Planet. I don't think I really need the 95 cm height, but I suppose it would allow more flexibility.

PS sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum...

I'm guessing they are mainly useful for Newts, especially the second one. I use a refractor and a normal chair does me and I use a cushion if I'm observing lower objects. It's a different story if the eyepiece is at the front of the scope as the difference in height is much bigger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:38, JeremyS said:

The main difference is the former has adjustable height from 25 to 75cm and the latter 25 to 95cm (which also makes it a bit heavier + taller i.e. no so compact for travel).

Might just highjack a bit of this thread.. can I ask @JeremyS the height ranges you've mentioned above is that the (im assuming) the range at which the observing seat can be placed..

Think I'm going to have a go at making one.. it would be useful to know the height range..

Thanks

Fozzie

25 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Might just highjack a bit of this thread.. can I ask @JeremyS the height ranges you've mentioned above is that the (im assuming) the range at which the observing seat can be placed..

Think I'm going to have a go at making one.. it would be useful to know the height range..

Thanks

Fozzie

That was my assumption, but I don't actually know as I've never seen one. Picked info up from FLO website: 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-observing-chairs/berlebach-hydra-ii-observers-chair.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-observing-chairs/berlebach-nix-ii-observers-chair.html

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Many Thanks..  So assuming it is (we cant both have deduced incorrectly!) then the overall height is in the region of 120 - 130cm.. im guessing looking at the pictures and guesstimating

that actually helps a fair bit..

Thanks

Fozzie

Jeremy - quite a coincidence, my main rig is C9.25 and Tak FC100DF on AZ-EQ6 and Berlebach Planet, and I sit on Berlebach Nix II. I’m quite happy with Nix, and tend to use quite a wide range of seating heights. To avoid the eyepiece on the apo to get too low when looking near zenith, I keep the mount rather high on the tripod, which means that looking closer to horizon raises the eyepiece quite high, especially on the shorter SCT.

FWIW, I’m pretty tall myself, 194 cm.

It is true that Nix II is not very compact, less so with the optional foot rest installed (which I do have and like, but it’s in no way necessary of course). But it still fits sideways in the trunk of my old RAV4 with the rest of the gear (and even some bags).

Fozzie, If you need me to get some measures from the Nix, just let me know!

Edited by Axunator
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2019 at 17:38, JeremyS said:

I would be using it with the C9.25 or the Tak FS 102 on an SW AZEQ-6 on a Berlebach Planet. I don't think I really need the 95 cm height, but I suppose it would allow more flexibility.

PS sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum...

I have the Hyrdra II and use it with my AZ4 tripod, Skytee 2 & TAK 100DL combination. Bought it from FLO earlier this year on a special offer.

It’s small and lightweight, folds away easily, oozes quality with a nice comfy seat. 

One word of caution don’t lean back when seat is near the fully up  position due to small back.

I find it’s ideal for star hopping and moving around the garden, works well on grass or patio. Also like the easy to use seat ratchet mechanism for rapid height adjustments whether you want low to the horizon targets or up towards the zenith.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks @Axunator and @jock1958. Really helpful!

From @jock1958's comment about the high setting, perhaps I should go for the higher Nix II. On the other hand, as @Axunator points it, it's bulkier, which tends to point to the Hydra II. Hmm.....

15 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

oozes quality

That's exactly what I love about Berlebach stuff. Tactile too! I suppose I can't go wrong with either seat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Many thanks @Axunator and @jock1958. Really helpful!

From @jock1958's comment about the high setting, perhaps I should go for the higher Nix II. On the other hand, as @Axunator points it, it's bulkier, which tends to point to the Hydra II. Hmm.....

That's exactly what I love about Berlebach stuff. Tactile too! I suppose I can't go wrong with either seat!

I do like it and It’s much better than my wife’s old makeup stool 😂

Some pics beside my set up with seat near up and near down positions. 

53E9FCE8-416E-488A-8FB7-290D7CD603D1.jpeg

C9A0442D-3015-41E1-B418-1756F763C268.jpeg

DA8DC3E4-EC4C-4356-9CF4-BC782CD52DA6.jpeg

• Thanks 2