Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR or a dedicated camera under 130$?

No point in splashing money out on expensive dedicated cameras if you don't have a motorised mount.  You would not get a dedicated camera except for maybe a cheap 2nd hand planetary camera for under 130$ anyway.

You would be best using a webcam of some sort for planetary if you have no tracking, but if you already have a DSLR then it is worth giving it a go.

Carole 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carastro said:

You would not get a dedicated camera except for maybe a cheap 2nd hand planetary camera for under 130$ anyway.

+1 for the webcam or planetary camera.  I've seen the ASI120mc advertised at $149 which is close to your budget.  This would get you started with planetary imaging which is a lot more affordable than deep sky stuff.

John

But you'll need to use it with a pc or laptop or perhaps a windows tablet.

You could if you had an Android device use a UVC supported webcam and an Android webcam app, I paid about $10 for the cheap webcam I bought and it was good enough for the Moon (it wasn't sensitive enough for Jupiter or I didn't aim the telescope in the right place). Something to read up on.